Running DC on DCC

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I never run a DC engine on my DCC layout!! When stopped the DC only engine sends track power to the motor and it will overheat as the motor gets some cooling from turning thus changing power to different windings. If stopped then only one set of windings gets all the power thus allowing the 2 windings to overheat. I do have a switch to control whether I run DC or DCC on the layout and my switch control is not connected to track power.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You are correct that a lot of the replies including mine do not answer the precise opening question, but I don't think there is any harm in discussion around the question, reminding us what a bad idea it is to run DC locos on DCC or suggesting that a separate DCC bus for accessory decoders has some merits, etc etc. In many ways it makes the forum more interesting and useful. In post #18 the OP did say thanks for the answers so he seemed to be happy. As a veteran of this forum you know there is a tendency for thread drift. In this case we stayed surprisingly more or less on topic, but thanks for the reminder! :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You are correct that a lot of the replies including mine do not answer the precise opening question, but I don't think there is any harm in discussion around the question, reminding us what a bad idea it is to run DC locos on DCC or suggesting that a separate DCC bus for accessory decoders has some merits, etc etc. In many ways it makes the forum more interesting and useful. In post #18 the OP did say thanks for the answers so he seemed to be happy. As a veteran of this forum you know there is a tendency for thread drift. In this case we stayed surprisingly more or less on topic, but thanks for the reminder! :)
Indeed so, as if any of us would get involved in ‘thread drift’!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As if..
1657445189938.png
British U class..
:devil:

PhilP

Last edited:

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Well I guess you’ve torpedoed this thread…

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag