Rowlands mix - user experiences

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
On my prevous layout I used Rowlands mix. But due to time restrictions (gotta work sometimes) I ended up making several different batches. And after applying it was really obvious they were different. Structure wise and moss growth wise.

One part was actually destroyed by frost, all came loose and washed away.
One part obviously had too much cement as it became rock solid.
One part was pretty ok (whaa, succes!)

After all was settled and dry after a few weeks, I applied yoghurt, later on beer, and finally a mix of yoghurt, sugar and moss snippers. With various succes, but the last mix had most succes.

Now the question: almost all different batches turned light gray within weeks. Cement gray. Also the grit I used had a gray look. Can this be avoided?

83A75CB4-30ED-4064-A424-B9E5F51F64D5.jpeg
Freshly applied. Looks the bomb!

B582F1F6-D365-41A2-AE12-74908F281EF1.jpeg
Catching on great! But was ruined by frost...

47805542-D951-44B0-9496-F620CCEE719F.jpeg
The rock-solid area. And gray, very gray.

0B6C83DE-86A1-49BB-A93C-47281483A727.jpeg
A part that did catch on very well...

CDBE2EF5-9068-4D7C-9CF1-C46396F43FA2.jpeg
New applied...

B55748DC-4229-4028-8705-D1EC6BC86CDA.jpeg
Getting there...

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Rowlands mix usually ends up looking grey in my experience. You can get cement dyes but these too also fade to grey relatively quickly.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
At the end of the day, even ballast on the real railway weathers?

You will often find a freshly ballasted track alongside one that has been down for a while on the main line....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I know. But I want it to look a century old

I think your choice of grit will have the greatest effect on keeping it 'dark'??
Anything 'cement' will end up grey.. If you can get a dark grit, at least you have a chance.

Does the 'peat' / soil element eventually wash-out of the mix?? :think:

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I applied yoghurt, later on beer, and finally

Most beers I would drink and not waste, others I would pour on the mix....including Watney's, Mackeson, Double Diamond, etc.....:mm:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Most beers I would drink and not waste, others I would pour on the mix....including Watney's, Mackeson, Double Diamond, etc.....:mm:

But..............................

I thought:

"A Double Diamond works wonders"? :think::rolleyes:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Does the 'peat' / soil element eventually wash-out of the mix?? :think:

As I had to lift my layout I could check this. It was all there after two years. But I definitely wonder if the cement blocks any positive moss growth effect of the peat??

It looks like the cement blocks everything.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think the lime content might be a little high to start with??

You tend to see lichens, rather then moss, on limestone...
(though that might be to do with drainage as well)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Think the option of using plenty of cement will create a stronger but greyer mix as you suggest Henri. Cement dyes or even some Stone Paint mixed in will help as may a spray of Matt Black from a Rattle Can. I tend to find that the spray is long lasting. Then some youghourt will attratct the green, also remember not to water with Tap Water as the nastiness inside to preserve us is not good for Moss etc. Rain water is good so if you have a water butt perhaps make your Rowlands using Rain Water and encourage the moss with a little Rain water in dry weather.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Drainage: i’d expect the peat to keep the ballast nicely moist. But the cement covers everything so the peat is encapsulated and just ‘sits’ there.

One part I brushed trying to get the cement film off peat and grot, but that didnt work.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
To my untrained eye, your results looked just fine to me. I've only used pea shingle so far which, while doing it's job, is not very lifelike. The road outside was resurfaced (or rather redressed) with a spray of black liquid followed by a sprinkling of chippings. As with all current road maintenance it only lasted a few weeks before it started to deteriorate with the end result being large piles of small granite chippings at various locations. A neighbour contacted the Council asking if a road-sweeping exercise could be undertaken but without success. Being a concerned resident I thought I'd help out by moving some of it from a potentially dangerous junction where it has caused cars to skid to a safer location. Consequently I have some very large plastic bags full in the back garden awaiting a ballast train. I may have to give this beer and yoghourt lark a bash.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Some visitor once mentioned my grit had too much chalk. That would prevent moss growth?
It's shouldn't do. We live in a chalky area, and the white stuff seems to green with ease round here

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This grit is a product that looks good as a ballast in SM32 & G scale.

Rougeite Aggregate | CED Ltd for all your Natural Stone
That looks very similar in size to the Ballast that I have used, mine comming from Andy Rush. Sadly the source he used location died with him. Where have you been getting it from and roughly how much is it?

I am in need of some more for freshening up where it has been getting remived by Pidgeons and for where I had insufficient to do my complete line.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Dosn't seem to be any my side (SW) of the country.

Perry

Registered
24 Nov 2017
Heights of High Wycombe
Best answers
Jimmy,

Ask them for a small sample. They will ship you a couple of 25Kg bags, if you like the product.