Replacing Marklin MFX with Massoth 8150001 eMOTION XL

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just wondering if the twin motor version of the Marklin MFX decoder that will be used in the new LGB 22963 OBB Diesel locomotive can be replaced with a Massoth 8150001 eMOTION XL decoder? Are the two decoders pin compatible?

Thanks

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just wondering if the twin motor version of the Marklin MFX decoder that will be used in the new LGB 22963 OBB Diesel locomotive can be replaced with a Massoth 8150001 eMOTION XL decoder? Are the two decoders pin compatible?

Thanks
The LGB 22963 has a Marklin MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc Sound Decoder installated. If you want to replace it with a Massoth-equivalent decoder, you need to use the Massoth 82x5xxx XLS-M1 DCC Sound Decoder, assuming you want sound. Massoth no longer makes an XL decoder with the same mtc27 Interface for only locomotive and function control. Why do you want to replace the Marklin sound decoder? If you don't like the sound, you could instead purchase an LGB 55029 MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc replacement decoder and install a different sound file from the Marklin sound library. But you'd need the Marklin devices or a Marklin CS3/3+ Command Station to do it, or get the seller like myself to do it for you (for a fee of course). Marklin locks the factory installed MSD3 sound decoders so you can't install a different sound file on this, you must buy the LGB 55029 Sound Decoder Kit.

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB 22963 has a Marklin MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc Sound Decoder installated. If you want to replace it with a Massoth-equivalent decoder, you need to use the Massoth 82x5xxx XLS-M1 DCC Sound Decoder, assuming you want sound?

Thanks. I’m still using an old LGB Serial Cental Station and Controller that isn’t compatible with the Marklin decoder in the LGB 22963 OBB Diesel so I’ll need to have a Massoth decoder fitted that’s Serial compatible.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I’m still using an old LGB Serial Cental Station and Controller that isn’t compatible with the Marklin decoder in the LGB 22963 OBB Diesel so I’ll need to have a Massoth decoder fitted that’s Serial compatible.
Okay, understood. It might be time to consider buying a new DCC command station. I sell the ESU CabControl DCC System here in the USA for $400 which is not too much more than the over $200 the new Massoth sound decoder costs that you want to get. Of course, if you have some very old LGB locomotives that only operate on Serial Function control, you could still use your old technology LGB MTS system to operate them.