Repaired Accucraft 'Earless' on proving run...

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
After a front-end fire late last year almost destroyed my beloved 'Earless', it has been way too long since it had a decent chance to strut its stuff with the three Pickering coaches as used by the prototype in Mid-Wales on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway. I detailed what had been done to it by Maestro David Mees in an earlier post, but here you can see the fruit of his labours in action in a little movie made by old pal Peter Jackson last choosdy.

It has one of the very first 'chuff pipes' ever made, and very effective it is, too. We had two runs of about forty minutes, without a gas top-up - a remarkable reflection on the newly-found efficiency of Dave's careful rebuilding.

Tacs loco at FLR 9th August 2022.mp4

Last edited:

Charles M

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Arvada, Colorado, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Tac,
Your model looks very nice running around after the repairs. I have the same locomotive and cars here in Colorado. The Earl is a favorite engine of mine, since I purchased it in 2009. I had seen the engine in a cover photograph on a little book titled " Light and Narrow-Gauge Locomotives " by R.W. Kinder published by The Oakwood Press. The search for " Earl " took many years to realize but Accucraft came through and my dream was completed.
Thanks for sharing the video.
Charles M

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tac,
Your model looks very nice running around after the repairs. I have the same locomotive and cars here in Colorado. The Earl is a favorite engine of mine, since I purchased it in 2009. I had seen the engine in a cover photograph on a little book titled " Light and Narrow-Gauge Locomotives " by R.W. Kinder published by The Oakwood Press. The search for " Earl " took many years to realize but Accucraft came through and my dream was completed.
Thanks for sharing the video.
Charles M

A grail version of the 'Countess/Earl' would be the model made by Pearse Models, the forerunners to Accucraft UK. Donald Pearse and his son, Ian, built some fine models in 16mm scale, including the Earl, a Leek & Manifold 2-6-4 A R Calthrop and an American outline loco whose names presently escapes me. They are ALL worth looking for, as they are totally British-built and seem to be capable of running forever. Donald took a full share of the designs for the British outline 16mm scale British loco, but his swansong remains the incredible SAR Beyer-Garratt NG/G16.

Mine is named in his honour...

1660340521903.png

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
After a front-end fire late last year almost destroyed my beloved 'Earless', it has been way too long since it had a decent chance to strut its stuff with the three Pickering coaches as used by the prototype in Mid-Wales on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway. I detailed what had been done to it by Maestro David Mees in an earlier post, but here you can see the fruit of his labours in action in a little movie made by old pal Peter Jackson last choosdy.

It has one of the very first 'chuff pipes' ever made, and very effective it is, too. We had two runs of about forty minutes, without a gas top-up - a remarkable reflection on the newly-found efficiency of Dave's careful rebuilding.

Lovely! I can see you had a busy time filming and keeping up with the train though!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag

Top bloke is Mr Mees :happy:

Reactions: 1 user