Regner Betty whistle fit

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I’m finally getting round to fitting a whistle to my Regner Betty. I just wondered if anyone on the forum has done this previously and would kindly share a few photos. I’m keen to understand the server location and steam pipe run. I believe the whistle has to float as opposed to being fixed.

As a second Q but not so immediate, anyone made the lamps work of the radio control?
Many thanks in advance....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I can't help with the whistle..
Lamps will depend on what you want to achieve? - Single lamp in direction of travel, or something more.

Also, what RC system you have.

PhilP

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi PhilP

I don't have a Betty, but do have a Paul tram which i bought second hand. The whistle needs to be able to drain otherwise it fills up with water the first time you sound it, i had to adjust the position of my whistle so that any water would run out, and now works very nicely.

Lights, if you have a Micron R/C there is a dedicated output for light on the receiver, other systems probably do as well, which will drive LEDs and that is what I used for my lights, which makes it easier for other people driving her for the first time, as there is a white light on the front in the direction of travel she is set for. I have not done the red tail lights off the RX as there should not be a red light, except at the end of the train. i plan to just do a switch for use when she is running light engine. Heatshrink tubing over any wires near 'hot' things helps longevity of the install.

Hope that helps. David.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
P.S. Sorry PhilP replied, I miss read the original post.

Whistle position. I found horizontal with the opening pointing down at an angle worked best for me.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I can't help with the whistle..
Lamps will depend on what you want to achieve? - Single lamp in direction of travel, or something more.

Also, what RC system you have.

PhilP
Thanks Phil.
I will be changing the receiver for a fosworks one so I can use a common palm size transmitter I have. I’m no fan of model aircraft transmitters. I’d be looking for directional lighting. I’ve no issue with wiring etc. Its more a case has anyone used the Regner lamp holders and how they physically wired to them. I’ve seen a copper pipe conduit used on a RH Billy which looks a good idea. Could use the chassis as a common return maybe?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just be aware that if you have a metal charging socket in the loco chassis, you already have a negative connection to the chassis.
This may be a problem for you dependent on how the lighting outputs are switched.

PhilP

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi PhilP

I don't have a Betty, but do have a Paul tram which i bought second hand. The whistle needs to be able to drain otherwise it fills up with water the first time you sound it, i had to adjust the position of my whistle so that any water would run out, and now works very nicely.

Lights, if you have a Micron R/C there is a dedicated output for light on the receiver, other systems probably do as well, which will drive LEDs and that is what I used for my lights, which makes it easier for other people driving her for the first time, as there is a white light on the front in the direction of travel she is set for. I have not done the red tail lights off the RX as there should not be a red light, except at the end of the train. i plan to just do a switch for use when she is running light engine. Heatshrink tubing over any wires near 'hot' things helps longevity of the install.

Hope that helps. David.
Very helpful David thank you. I plan to get a Paul later this year and will add lights and radio. Heat shrink idea I like.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Just be aware that if you have a metal charging socket in the loco chassis, you already have a negative connection to the chassis.
This may be a problem for you dependent on how the lighting outputs are switched.

PhilP
Aha... I’d not thought of that Phil. Great point. Thank you.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have added lights in a loco using the 6V servo power from the RX. LEDs with a limiting resistor work fine. I fed the laquered armature wire through hypodermic tubing that looks like handrails, but on Paul I would use copper and polish it!

To provide directional control, or just to turn them on and off, MRW make small solid state switches that plug in to an RX channel like a servo.
Home - Model Radio Workshop

I have at least 2 locos with Regner whistles, and I have a kit for another. As noted, don't tie them down too hard and let the water out. The actuator valve usually fits the manifold, though sometimes you have to move the pressure gauge pipe to the back or the end.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I have added lights in a loco using the 6V servo power from the RX. LEDs with a limiting resistor work fine. I fed the laquered armature wire through hypodermic tubing that looks like handrails, but on Paul I would use copper and polish it!

To provide directional control, or just to turn them on and off, MRW make small solid state switches that plug in to an RX channel like a servo.
Home - Model Radio Workshop

I have at least 2 locos with Regner whistles, and I have a kit for another. As noted, don't tie them down too hard and let the water out. The actuator valve usually fits the manifold, though sometimes you have to move the pressure gauge pipe to the back or the end.
Thank you Fred. Great advice. I like the solid state switches idea. I’d just like to have white directional lights. No red tail light. That should work for me.