Red Box day for a unique Genesis

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

I have to say I've never had any problem running a Genesis at each end of a train, once I had adjusted a few CVs so that they both ran similarly.

There are a few clips in my video 'R8R - Tne next video'. Both of mine are now fitted with sound.

Regards
Cliff

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Steve, a very nice purchase. I know that LGBoA had quite a lot of these locos left when the company went down the pan in 2006. How many specials did LGBoA do of the Genesis?, I have seen a NH version, but can someone fill me in on the other non-standard versions please. Many thanks Alyn

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Allyn-only the phase 3, 4 and 5 were stock offerings   

then
NH and Southern were custom -the NH is prototypical and 4 exist-#228-231

we have yet to hear of others, if any

-theres a link to york based shop -take a look

i see amtrak running along the SF lines south to Pueblo out of Denver
these are cross  country trains,  not east coast short hop intercity commuter trains-they are often 10-12 cars and clip along about 70-90 mph if i can estimate based on my car speed (road parallels trackage)  

-most often what i see are the double headed locos, 1-3 'material handling' box cars-(ie mail) and the double level cars -these are almost always behind the engines out in the west-ive never seen them at teh ends as they are on the east coast trains-i imagine its simply shunting-east coast often has one ended stations so its easier to grab the end car-the western stations are usually thru platforms so either end will do-just my speculation

these really are a nice LGB offering-just about as deluxe as any of the german or swiss LGB models (but for the low quality plastic-more like a styrene)

i have always thought LGB prioritized with the best premium features for the models in response to their larger german market-i always thought that by comparison the US items got comparatively somewhat short shrift on minor details-ie opening windows, interior detail, lanterns, platform gates-even the US smoothside coaches were rather simple and plain  

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i run mine on R2 and R3 during the holidays without problem

i think they are acceptable on R3

i have noticed that the larger US stock -(except the smoothsides)

-can all buckle with rapid changes in speed due to light weights-the cars behind will cause the truck mounted couplers to leverage the cars right off of  the rail 
-in particular the box cars need extra weight to not derail