Red Battery Loco Conversion using Fosworks and NiMh Batteries with My Loco Sound.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I vote for using brass castings, and plastic. Very few zinc-based castings last a long time (in large pieces, like sideframes and chassis)...

I have several friends that collect older trains, and "Zinc pest" is a problem.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I vote for using brass castings, and plastic. Very few zinc-based castings last a long time (in large pieces, like sideframes and chassis)...

I have several friends that collect older trains, and "Zinc pest" is a problem.

Greg
Yes, over here, most kits (and they are much fewer nowadays due to the improved offerings from ready-to-run manufacturers) tended to be white metal, later pewter, superstructures and etched brass chassis. In the late '70s when I started kit building, there were a few loco kits that had a white metal chassis block with inserted brass bearings. There was no way that the average modeller could install the bearings accurately enough, so they were already fixed in the chassis, but they made for a very nice, smooth running loco if you took your time in adjusting the gear mesh - obviously in 4mm scale the drive was a simple worm arrangement.