Recommendations required

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm after a hand held, wired controller fir indoor use. Control needs to be either a knob or a slider. it is for analogue. My power supply is 18 volts dc output needs to be 0 - 18 volts at no more than 2 amps - as I run USAT locos 1 amp just won't be enough.

Any recommendations?

I currently use a gaugemaster panel mounted controller which I have put in a home made box - makes a nice handwarmer but it does seem to cope with my power needs. I have used a train engineer but the inertia control just doesn't work on a shunting layout. I can control things because I am used to it but others keep ramming the end boards (with my locos!).

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
I currently use a gaugemaster panel mounted controller which I have put in a home made box - makes a nice handwarmer but it does seem to cope with my power needs.
Chris, why do you wish to have something other than the above?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Chris M said:
I'm after a hand held, wired controller fir indoor use. Control needs to be either a knob or a slider. it is for analogue. My power supply is 18 volts dc output needs to be 0 - 18 volts at no more than 2 amps - as I run USAT locos 1 amp just won't be enough.

Any recommendations?

I currently use a gaugemaster panel mounted controller which I have put in a home made box - makes a nice handwarmer but it does seem to cope with my power needs. I have used a train engineer but the inertia control just doesn't work on a shunting layout. I can control things because I am used to it but others keep ramming the end boards (with my locos!).

Chris

I know you've said you want a hand-held, but would a 5 amp LGB panel mount device (52121) be of benefit? Rock solid electronics, smoooth control and a true 5 amp output if you need it. It was/is coming up in the great Ruritanian sell off, but if you're interested, just PM me. :callme:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
Chris, why do you wish to have something other than the above?
Because of my (lack of) woodworking skills

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Chris

I know you've said you want a hand-held, but would a 5 amp LGB panel mount device (52121) be of benefit? Rock solid electronics, smoooth control and a true 5 amp output if you need it. It was/is coming up in the great Ruritanian sell off, but if you're interested, just PM me. :callme:
hanks but I am after a proper handheld which will look smarter than my homemade box - there doesn't seem to be much about which fits the bill.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
"All-in-one" hand-helds such as the Gaugemaster units are ok for small scales & low power, but I would imagine that as the amps requirement increases the hand-held controller designs probably tend towards a proper base-unit with a satellite controller. That way you're not having to channel all those amps up and down the lead to the hand-held.

For example, Helmsman do this 5-amp jobbie:

http://www.helmsmanuk.co.uk/LargePic5RCM.html

I have no experience of them, but Helmsman seem to be well thought of and have recently given good service to GSC members from what I've read, so maybe worth discussing your requirement with them?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
... I have used a train engineer but the inertia control just doesn't work on a shunting layout. I can control things because I am used to it but others keep ramming the end boards (with my locos!).

The momentum setting on the TE is adjustable ( http://www.aristocraft.com/techinfo/link.html ) I don't have a TE but have used one on friend's layouts. I don't think any of them have changed the momentum on theirs so probably using the default "middle of the range" setting, and sometimes it seems a little slow to react. I don't know how much more responsive the minimum setting would be - anyone care to comment?

I know where you're coming from with regard to momentum and shunting; my lad has a habit of setting decoders to maximum momentum on our DCC system because he think's it's more realistic (he does have a point), but then I get caught out with stuff running into the buffers at the end of our sidings!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice chaps.
I have ordered the Helmsman controller as recommended by Nick & Kim. It suits my needs perfectly. Have spoken to Geof Helmsman and a controller should be on its way to me within a few days. It is being attached to the Warley Club Kirtley Works layout. The first test will be at the Reading ALSRM show on May 7th.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good experience so far. Ordered and paid for the contoller on Friday lunch time and it arrived 8:00am Monday which is impressive. Quick test at home shows that it works fine.

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
Useful thread for me at the moment as well. Since i've decided that DCC is not really for me (at least not outdoors), i've started looking for a decent controller that wont fry when I get the USAT stuff out. That helmsman will fit the bill perfectly. Ta muchly :)

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Helmsman is good and the only issue for you is that it is not radio control. Therefore you cannot walk round while you run trains. You could add quite a long cable to the controller which would allow you to wander a bit. The cable used by Helmsman is a fairly standard cable available from places like Maplins.

Still think the best non dcc solution for outdoors is the Train Engineer. I have found the Helsman to be ideal for the indoor layout with lots of shunting. The TE is not so good for this and there were numberous crashes into the wall at the end of the layout.

Your welcome to come over to the south of the city if you want a play with the TE.

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
I'll take you up on that if I may. I've never really played with TE.
My problem is that whilst I get on fine with computers and the like, I dont get on so well with other technology lol

If im honest, TE probably scared me. Irrational..i know. Its also part of the reason why I elected not to go DCC with the whole shebang.