re The St Andrews Island Line 2010

StephH

7/8ths and 1/12th modeling in Railways and Birdwat
Country flag
Well the finally got the first real running session in this pm on a beautiful sunny afternoon.... First up was Evelyn with the new Summerlands Chuffer fitted. Wow what a difference, wonderful chuff... so loud I reckon the neighbours will wonder whats occurin':D

The Magnolia stellata is in flower on the bottom bend and looks great for saying it looked like a twig when I planted it 2 years ago. Just had to take a few shots!

a6305ba8d02a4275800be8859111f679.jpg

e58eddb6b33c42b9b7a6f645b88d51cd.jpg

Steph'

Next up was Moth on a goods train...I think she was upset cause she was secong 'cause I had the devil of a job filling the gas tank....gas everywhere but in the tank, still after some swearing we reached an understanding and she performed beautifully, cruising round with no fuss in the end, whistle blowing etc....

f48f899cd1504f2697f92d69ca6ced57.jpg
8a3e1f17964940a1bd40a7d695885a55.jpg
867bc8985e4f464f911e1c5a5ea49e84.jpg
621892fb427d44cc9f15defc6e4edbc8.jpg
51f4616bbf934ba9a3f87ea5134d1ef0.jpg

First class Steph, I love to seem 'em running through the plantings

Terrific pictures Steph, cheers.

As an aside, is that a flywheel on Moth? She's a lovely loco and I'd like to know more about the way she works. (OK, there's probably a thread on this forum somewhere telling all about her but I ain't found it!)

StephH said:
Well the finally got the first real running session in this pm on a beautiful sunny afternoon.... First up was Evelyn with the new Summerlands Chuffer fitted. Wow what a difference, wonderful chuff... so loud I reckon the neighbours will wonder whats occurin':D

The Magnolia stellata is in flower on the bottom bend and looks great for saying it looked like a twig when I planted it 2 years ago. Just had to take a few shots!

images

images

Steph'

Looks really good Steph.... funnily enough I have a magnolia (with a similar history) in flower - think it was a free gift from Bakker 3 or 4 years ago!

Congratulations on creating a lovely ambiance :clap:

Rob

Old Tom said:
Terrific pictures Steph, cheers.

As an aside, is that a flywheel on Moth? She's a lovely loco and I'd like to know more about the way she works. (OK, there's probably a thread on this forum somewhere telling all about her but I ain't found it!)

Yes she has a flywheel... shes a single cylinder geared loco from regner (a Konrad originally). That flywheel is an after market replacement for the one Konrad comes with and is a solid chunk of metal. You of course have to flick the fly wheel to get her started due to the single cylinder... but the gearing means she will stroll away with almost any load and run smoothly and consistantly and a nice sedate pace.

I didn't build her she was converted by Rob Bennett of Busy Bodies fame but I gave her a new home when he sold her!

ATB

Steph'

That looks wonderful. Is the boiler offset on Moth - like a Shay?

stockers said:

Yup.... the cylinder is set on the side opposite the flywheel thus the boiler is indeed off set reminiscent of a shay.. In that vain I think these Konrads would make excellent logging locos in various scales. Its something you don't really notice on Konrads unless photographed from the front.

ATB

Steph'

StephH said:
stockers said:

Yup.... the cylinder is set on the side opposite the flywheel thus the boiler is indeed off set reminiscent of a shay.. In that vain I think these Konrads would make excellent logging locos in various scales. Its something you don't really notice on Konrads unless photographed from the front.

ATB

Steph'

Brilliant pictures Steph

Oh man Steph, everytime I see your layout I just smile and enjoy.
Dave

As always Steph, superb. True inspiration. Thank you.