RC and Bachmann

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Now you will usually find me on the steam section of this group and so I am out of my comfort zone in terms of knowledge here. I have had a request which I reproduce below and wonder if someone can help with this...

I'm a g scale railroader,I run Bachman Consolidations. Ive been trying for over a year to find a company that can fit the above, Ive contacted a good number of suppliers that advertise in the mag.most will not touch Bachmann as they come up with lots of reasons why,ie dont know how to do it. Im heading towards 70 years and want to run more than one loco at a time on my layout.Qustion Is there a supplier who can fit R/C in the loco I want to use track power, I have pheonix sound in the tenders of my locos so there is not much room left. So im looking for some one to fit R/C and what controller I will need. Any help will be apresheated if this goes in mag some one may be able to help.

if anyone can help this gent (and of course further my own knowledge in this area of modelling activity I would be most grateful.

Best

Tag

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I'm not 100% sure what he's got in mind Tag? He wants remote control, but still using track power to run more than one loco? Sounds to me as if he simply needs to go to digital control with a wireless handset as made by LGB, Massoth and others?

If that is the case, it won't be cheap (when is it ever?) as he will need a digital control unit, suitable transformer, handset etc. and to have his loco fitted with a chip - unless the Phoenix sound card is also a digital chip? However, such set-ups are to be found second hand. Last time I looked Jeremy @ Dragon G Scale had an LGB MTS system and he will also fit chips.

If the chap is willing not to use track power he could always investigate battery RC as per my recent article.

So, maybe a call to either Jeremy or Cliff Barker may be useful?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Does the gent in question want to run track powered locos as well as R/C Tag?

If so, then as long as the wheels on the R/C loco are insulated and do not short out track power, then yes, it can be done.

Or does the chap wish to supply his loco via track power and not a battery but have R/C?

As Mel has pointed out, digital is one way to go, but there is also the Train Engineer made by Aristocraft/Crest. This analogue system uses a remote control to vary the track voltage, and is used by Mel and until recently myself also. The Pheonix sound should still work with this system....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
As Mel has pointed out, digital is one way to go, but there is also the Train Engineer made by Aristocraft/Crest. This analogue system uses a remote control to vary the track voltage, and is used by Mel and until recently myself also. The Pheonix sound should still work with this system....
In addition Aristocraft also produce their "Revolution" on board train engineer. I have fitted one of these together with a Phoenix sound system to an Aristo class 66. The loco in question is switchable between on board batteries and track power.
I wouldn't be surprised if the gentleman in question is thinking of using track power at full voltage with radio control of individual locos as he doesn't want batteries in trailing cars and hasn't got the room in the loco.