random shots

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I had the camera out to photograph some stuff to sell, so I shot these while I was at it;
A lovely spring day in the village
P6110009.jpg

[/img]

Shouldn't he be done plowing by now? It's haying season....
P6110010.jpg

[/img]

Still need to go after another load or two of rocks
P6110011.jpg

[/img]

80% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, guess I won't be running much again this weekend

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Shouldn't he be done plowing by now? It's haying season....
Well he would have a tough job getting it through that lot on the ground anyway. A nice model though , I've been looking for a suitable tractor model for a while , what make is yours?
Cheers Garry

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
The tractor and plow are Slik-Toy. Made by Armor Industries for a long time, then bought by a guy named Nicholas Spinner dba Grandpa's Farm Toys. Last I heard he was having trouble finding a reasonably priced foundry, so I'm not sure if they are currently being made.

The tractor was $5 and the plow $2.75 about 3 years ago. All I did was repaint them.

The cypress mulch is to try to slow down the Creeping Charlie aka Gil Over the Ground... It makes it a little easier to pull up, anyway. Free groundcover is one thing. A miniature Kudzu jungle is another.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
The tractor was $5? Was this a US or offshore foundry?

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
US made and real aluminum. Kinda funny how Ertl is cast overseas part assembled in Mexico, made of pot metal and still costs more.....

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Re:More random shots

Mik,

Nice pics, like the covered bridge in the first pic....looks a lot better than the Pola kit I've got....it's rather short and there's no clearance for the USA Trains intermodals (which I only realised after I had built the kit :wits:).......

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Re:More random shots

Kieth, That bridge is 2 Aristo ones spliced together (with a bit of aluminum box underneath for strength.) I left the end finish pieces off to get the extra 5/8" vertical clearance.

I also have a shorter single Aristo covered bridge that I made a 3/4" wood spacer between the bottom of the sides and the ties to do the same thing. So now everything I have clears except the Dumbo car and the little Swami guy on the Pustefix bubble car.... and Kim's chihuahuas riding on a flatcar - they're too dumb to duck, so they derail everything jumping off...