Rail Clamps

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Still wondering what track you have... the only one that will force you to pull up rails is LGB, you can remove joiners from others like USA and Aristo, etc. without moving the track at all. I did this on my layout, and changed over bit by bit. I have Aristo stainless, so the joiners are stiffer than brass.

Greg

Duncan, what brand of track are you using?
As much as I would love to do that. It means lifting one hell of a lot of track.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Still wondering what track you have... the only one that will force you to pull up rails is LGB, you can remove joiners from others like USA and Aristo, etc. without moving the track at all. I did this on my layout, and changed over bit by bit. I have Aristo stainless, so the joiners are stiffer than brass.

Greg
I have a mixture of PIKO and LGB on my layout

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes as the fish plates are hooked into the sleepers

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well familiar with it, when I started, huge controversy over "which was best"... so made a test loop of Aristo, USA and LGB... could not figure out how to remove the LGB joiner, until I noticed the tab bend down through the tie... and then often what looked like spot welds on the bottom...

Their ads with the elephant must have reflected the "staying power" of the joiner to ha ha!

LGBElephant.jpg

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I've been thinking about clamps for my track, that is between repairing a point with 10BA screw and repairing my battery tester.

There seems a consensus that replacing the slide on fish-plates is better than over the joiner clamps. Main problem seems to be the need to remove all the fish plates. I am considering getting some clamps and then when I have a bad rail connection I'll fit a clamp.

Did I imagine it but is there a type of joiner which is rather smaller than the usual fish-plate and based more on a thin surface area cutting into the narrow part of the rail?

Thanks,

Sarah Winfield

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, there are "joiners" that match prototype practice, i.e. they are flat bars that sit in the "web" of the rail.

A lot of work to fit, you have to drill holes and work with tiny fasteners, and they actually do not conduct as well as clamps.

Joint bars in the US, fishplates in the UK:

nsulated-rail-joint-and-its-components.png

Some really crazy people actually use these in G scale... my advice is don't join them ha ha!

Greg

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I'm certainly not into "crazy" maybe a little dollaly.

I thought the ones I read of were an "H" shape, where the two symmetrical halves of the "H" pushed over the web of the rail. Maybe I was having a senior moment.

SW

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Held in place with friction?

Basically any "spring" type of clamp can eventually lose it's tension.

You need a screw type fastener to apply enough pressure to ensure air does not get into the joint, and allow oxidation and/or grit to insulate the joiner from the rail.

Greg

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, there are "joiners" that match prototype practice, i.e. they are flat bars that sit in the "web" of the rail.

A lot of work to fit, you have to drill holes and work with tiny fasteners, and they actually do not conduct as well as clamps.

Joint bars in the US, fishplates in the UK:

nsulated-rail-joint-and-its-components.png

Some really crazy people actually use these in G scale... my advice is don't join them ha ha!

Greg

Greg,

That joint bar in the photo won't be (or, rather, shouldn't be) conducting electric current... it's an insulated joint !

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I don't see the insulators, maybe I am missing something... also the nuts are firmly down on the metal bar.

But I did see some illustrations where there are insulating tubes inside, but don't see how the nuts are insulated, perhaps fiber washers?

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't see the insulators, maybe I am missing something... also the nuts are firmly down on the metal bar.

But I did see some illustrations where there are insulating tubes inside, but don't see how the nuts are insulated, perhaps fiber washers?

Greg
Yes on extreme close up one can just make out the Isolating stuff including behind the nuts, well weathered. The fill between the rails and the bonding wire are the give away once Gav pointed it out. Well done that man.

As I think I pointed out a long time back Rail Bonding is a prototypical way of keeping current flowing with appropriate wire and good, neat soldering techniques.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Greg

It was the mere mention of an end post that made me make that statement.
The rail ends are insulated from each other by this end post. The joint bars/fishplates are insulated from the rail by a plastic spacer. The bolts are not insulated from the plates, but they do
go through plastic ferrels that insulate them from the rails through the bolt holes. The plates are not electrically insulated from each other.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, after I looked that the picture again, that was the dead giveaway, why would you need to have a gap between the rails unless it was not metal.

Great catch... was trying to get a quick illustration and did not even read all the little text boxes...

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So I am glad I have not gone far down the line in laying my track, the point about being able to remove a switch (point) easily if using split clamps has had me seriously considering this, and I have just bought some split jaw clamps and insulated clamps. Obviously this will mean the removal of my switches to replace the joiners, but long term I think this may just be a prudent move.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So I am glad I have not gone far down the line in laying my track, the point about being able to remove a switch (point) easily if using split clamps has had me seriously considering this, and I have just bought some split jaw clamps and insulated clamps. Obviously this will mean the removal of my switches to replace the joiners, but long term I think this may just be a prudent move.

If you do not have many points to 'lift' at this time..??
Else I would leave them until you have a problem. - Any more you are laying, then yes use clamps..

Anything bar plain track, has the potential to give you problems.. Prudent to be prepared.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with Phil P. - if it works, leave it be. But have the clamps on hand if you need to fix it later.
Phil S.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Having only just started laying the track, I only have three points down, and it has become apparent from some of the posts on the forum that points are the area of failure if anything is going to fail.

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having only just started laying the track, I only have three points down, and it has become apparent from some of the posts on the forum that points are the area of failure if anything is going to fail.
Many of the failures (electrically speaking) on LGB Points is the long term oxidisation (screw types) or downright failure of the pip that connects jumper wires. This oxidisation can of course effect any fishplates so clamps on points are a good idea. Though in truth any joint that has failed can be made good with soldered jumper wires, bit of a pain to do retrospectively on groud level track but dooable.

Another thing to remember with Clamps is that they do make your track pretty well impossible to nick, no one could stealthily get down the street without being noticed even with a circle of securely clamped up R1!

Reactions: 1 user