QSI Titan cards fo G Scale

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I[size=14pt] have been following posts on the QSIindustries Yahoo group about theG Scale QSI Titan sound card with increasing dismay. It horrifies me that there are reams and reams of posts about the problems associated with altering the configuration for individual locos with out of date firmware, out of date bootloaders, updates conflicting, re-mapping of the ports, lack of compatibility with programming hardware. The list seems to be endless. Most of the posts come from people who are savvy in electronics but who still can't get things working to their satisfaction.
It appears that if you want to simply fit the card and leave it at that it will generally work but, try to modify anything and you are in the geat confusing unknown. One of its great sellling points was the abiity to reconfigure the card for a vast range of locos but if it is this difficult/impossible then I don't see the point. It seems too that a significant proportion of cards are being returned even when left in 'basic' mode.

[/size]
I have waited a long time for this card, almost 2yrs but it is definitely not for me in its current form.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I agree Keith I have looked at the Titans but.......I have just updated four QSI Quantums with different sounds and also CVs for use in different locos from before and it was an enjoyable thing to do. I use a Mac with Parallels for running Windoze and it works fine with the QSI programmer and software.

The birth of the Titans has been long winded and also obviously fraught. They are supposed to be compatible with the present programmer provided that it is firmware upgraded but I think that there is just too much that can be programmed on the card that it is easy to get things wrong once 'fiddling' takes place. Also there has been, as you say, a few problems with the firmware upgrades and sound downloads.

It is ironic that you can use the new V8 (Titan) sounds with the older Quantums but of course no stereo etc.

I will be sticking to the older Quantums and will continue my search for used ones coming up. Their sounds are great ( I do like Massoth XLS boards and their sounds but there is not enough variety of US sound files or the ability to 'muck about' with the individual sound settings like with the QSIs), the programming is easy and they are 'plug and play' in many Aristocraft locos and all new Bachmann Spectrum. The Magnum add-on board makes it easy to set up USA trains kit.