QSI SOUND DECODER PROBLEM & SOLUTION

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
The QSI Sound decoder is a very good decoder I have used a few, installation is simple it simply plugs in to many Aristocraft & Some Bachmann Spectrum locos via a 21 pin socket, other locos can be connected using the screw terminals provided on an additional adaptor.

The Decoder has some features which are very useful, including the ability to SPEAK TO THE USER! it reads back CV settings etc when programming for example and it has a reed switch supplied which is sited within the loco adjacent to an outer wall which allows the locos volume to be altered without CVs ar fiddling around with a Vol Control Knob, simply placing a magnet close to the loco when it is on the track which is powered up alters the volume up or down, each vol. step is indicated by a short whistle/horn blast!!
ALSO the decoder can be reset to factory settings (ie address 3 and other factory settings) by holding a magnet near the loco on the track and then switching the power OFF & then remove magnet & switch power ON, the reset is confirmed by the word RESET being spoken by the decoder. ALL clever stuff!

I insatalled the decoder in an Aristo U25B took about 1/2 hr inc taking the body Off and replacing etc,

I tested loco all worked OK brilliant sounds etc, I then changed the loco address and the acceleration and deceleration CVS again all fine! I then switched off and the loco was not used until later.

When I switched on I was a bit surprised to hear the WORD RESET from the loco, and when I tried to run it using its newly set address it did not RESPOND!!
I tried switching power off & on and once again it spoke RESET, so eventually I tried address 3 and the loco ran ok but the CVs I had changed earlier were back to factory settings.

THE decoder was obviously resetting itself each time it was powered up,

SO after a few hours of head scratcing and testing ( suspected the reed switch, but that was no the problem as when I disconnected it the fault remained), Eventually I decided that it was no use the decoder was faulty so I was going to return it today for replacement......................I removed the decoder and had one last good look at it.......................................................................

To cut a long story short, with the aid of a LED light and a magnifying mirror I found the soldered joints for the REED switch socket to PCB were touching!!! Thus making a connection as if the reed switch was closed , thus causing the problem............ a few strokes with a very sharp thin blade cut the solder and low & Behold the decoder now reinstalled works perfectly!!

The gap between the 2 connections is MICRO but just shows what can occur at the factory... I have emailed QSI but no response as yet!

I hope this info is useful, as this sort of problem can occur on other electrical components, I know of an LGB RhB railcar whose decoder failed ,apparently, the cause was a short circuit caused by similar poor soldering on a cab light socket!!

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
Very useful and interesting Steve. Thanks

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
GrahamMills said:
Very useful and interesting Steve. Thanks
Before I found the fault i did email QSI in the states to ask their opinion, havnt received a reply yet, will wait to see if they do respond or not Then we shall see just how good their customer relations are!!:D

Must add though that these decoders are excellent in both the digital control function and the sound and they work out slightly less expensive than the competition!