Putting the sound into the new KoF.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
OK, following on from my previous posts about getting and then dismantling the new LGB HSB KoF, I've now completed the sound installation. Taking the loco apart was mostly covered in my earlier topic here:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m127073
I have been waiting for someone to get some more Massoth S sound modules in to stock, but they seem to be in very short supply right now (Massoth's own site is showing them as being of limited availability, guess they've sold all the first batch of production) - so as I had a "spare" one here that I hadn't yet used for the project it was originally purchased for, I dropped it back to Jeremy at Dragon who very kindly reprogrammed it with the KoF sound files and returned it to me within a few days. Very good service as always, above and beyond the call of duty!
As you'll recall from the earlier thread above, the problem with the KoF is the very limited space inside; there is basically nowhere to fit even the tiny S unit except inside the cab. So, that's where it had to go. Fortunately, there is space to tuck it neatly in at one side of the cab, beside the large central "control console" and below window level, so that it is VIRTUALLY invisible from the outside at normal viewing distances and angles.
7e2d66d87a6645aba6c73c4dc82cfc5e.jpg

Even feeding the wires through is not a simple task due to lack of space - in the end I decided to make a hole in the cab underside as shown in a couple of the pics below - it was tricky to even get in at the right angle to cut this hole, eventually I managed it with a scalpel tip and very careful widening of it with a needle file, until it was just large enough to squeeze the two-pin microplug of the speaker cables through. I was then able to feed the white and brown power wires from the S unit back the other way through the hole, these cables being all that is necessary for connecting the S to the LGB onboard decoder.
48ca2abc72654d188c3c1cb5ff487c3f.jpg

c07331621f7d4d2e862ada43a4a39802.jpg

The speaker plug was inserted into the socket on the S unit, and the module itself was tucked as far down the left hand side of the cab as possible, as you can see from the pics, stuck in place with some double-sided tape - finally I pushed a little bit of black insulating tape over it, the driver figure was then blu-tacked into place just behind the decoder, all helping to hide it from view just a little bit more.
8038cb2701f3467f8053a9465158b160.jpg

d38a577f93be4215a95ef9d94fced4ef.jpg

The white and brown wires, already fitted with the standard LGB/Massoth connectors, simply push onto the two "track power" pins provided on the onboard decoder - they are located right in the middle between the four big plug sockets, and are clearly shown in the S module instruction booklet.
b835ffaf306b44f5a7c068630a7db50a.jpg

The loco was then reassembled, motor hood first and then the cab (being VERY careful not to trap any wires or dislodge any plugs in the process). A quick test (only under analogue power) proved that all the important bits - motor, lights and sound - were working OK, then all the detail parts (coupling mounts, running boards etc) were re-attached. I still need to find the time to do a bit of tweaking of the programming via my SPROG, in particular turning up the sound volume - it's working fine, but rather quiet at the moment.
The pics here show the most important aspects of the job, I hope - and after a couple of questions about it I took some pics of the motor block as well (I didn't open the block up, so I don't know what type of motor is installed I'm afraid).
7dcbeea905174cf68a201b4b1bf9c0e5.jpg

3f49910543ee4d61947e18c8f017bb7f.jpg

If anyone else is undertaking this job and would like to exchange notes, feel free to ask!

Jon.

jose07

Modell trains -N scale, G scale- DCC Massoth
25 Oct 2009
Madrid, Spain
Best answers
very neat job.

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Thanks for the excellent pictures - really helpful !
- really like the 'hiding-place' in the cab for the "S", very neat ...

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon, just need a supply of S decoders in the next month before my layout goes out and about, Muns is working on it but miracles can take a while. On the plus side Massoth just turned round an XLS with a firmware update and new sounds for just postage so I'm not going to bash them :)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it's a real pain that there seem to be no "S" units available right now (there is one stockist who seemed to have a few last time I looked, but at very high prices - depends how badly you want them, I suppose....). I need one for my Pressnitztalbahn 251, at the moment I've chucked an LGB "black box" generic diesel sound unit in there, which is OK, but I'd rather have the correct sounds for it. Apparently Massoth are redesigning the circuit board before making a new batch of S modules, but as with a lot of things they do it seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time. :mad:

Jon.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
I finally got round to fitting the S unit in my Kof and thanks to Jon I found the power pins! What a strange place to hide them.
While I had the bonnet off easily following the help on threads on here I couldn`t get the roof off to get access to put it in the cab floor.
So I thought I`d see if it could fit elsewhere and thought about in front of the speaker. I measured it up and found that by removing the ends where they can be snapped off it fitted neatly in behind the grille. There`s enough space each side to let the sound out too.
Power connection
1 kof.jpg

Fitting the S decoder
2 kof.jpg

Location of the securing screws, green ones to remove the coupler, rear coupling can stay in place.
3 kof.jpg