Puffing Billy trip

oldoak

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Dorset & Canberra
Best answers
I have a few hours free today and was hoping to take a trip on the Puffing Billy line, the last time I went was in the 80's before the extension from Emerald. The only problem is that trains do not seem to run all the way through without long stops. So can anybody advise me which half of the line is the most scenic/interesting please, Any other advice would also be most welcome.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Hi oldoak,

Definitely the first section of line between Belgrave and Lakeside (Emerald) is the most scenic and interesting.

The second section between Lakeside and Gembrook runs at a loss although it is a worthwhile trip it does not have the interest of the first section.

enjoy the smoke and the steam, the smell of eaucalypts, the choofing and watch for the cinders in the eyes.

oldoak

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Dorset & Canberra
Best answers
G' Day corgi.

Thanks for the info, as you would know the weather was absolutly foul but being so close I could not stop myself (SHMBO not impressed)
so we only drove the line, I could not beleve how Belgrave & Emerald have grown!!!!!! and all on the back of the railway I would think, but a bit over the top.
The rain soaked eaucalypts on the roadside were brethtaking as was the contrast between forest, open country and the mist in the high Gembrook area, well worth the extra few miles.
We just got to Gembrook as a very bedragaled train pulled in, what a fantastic station with great facilities. But what a wasted asset it is, located perfectly for the Gipsland Holiday Trade. We had come from Sale and if I had known it was so easy to get to the railway without going in to Melbourne we would have gon on our way in.
Not a singal sign on the main road or on the way up.
Only a few pic' due to the waether & a could not resist a Melbourne tram pic for the Tram Fans

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
That station is not the original at Gembrook. The original is back behind the pine trees.

Yes the station is a wasted asset. The line between Lakeside and Gembrook re-opened in 1998.

The local town (village) people have done nothing to provide any interest for passengers. I cant even recommend the pub opposite the station for passengers to have a meal and a drink. I usually send them to the little cafe up the road.

Approximately 260,000 passengers were carried on the PBR last year and only 9000 did the Lakeside to Gembrook section which represents nearly half of the total trackage.
In the winter they only run trains to Gembrook in the weekends.
Now with the temperatures climbing with climate change services to Gembrook are being curtailed as there is a potential fire danger and the Country Fire Authority have difficulty in accessing the track through the 'Wright Forest"

I managed to go on it last Saturday as I shouted (treated) my whole family including the ex on the santa Special. It was a great day.

Just did rehab this morning and I asked them about going back to work as I really do miss it.
Anyhow they have put me on hold for sometime yet.

oldoak

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Dorset & Canberra
Best answers
oldoak - 9/12/2009 11:36 PM

G' Day corgi.

Thanks for the info, as you would know the weather was absolutly foul but being so close I could not stop myself (SHMBO not impressed)
so we only drove the line, I could not beleve how Belgrave & Emerald have grown!!!!!! and all on the back of the railway I would think, but a bit over the top.
The rain soaked eaucalypts on the roadside were brethtaking as was the contrast between forest, open country and the mist in the high Gembrook area, well worth the extra few miles.
We just got to Gembrook as a very bedragaled train pulled in, what a fantastic station with great facilities. But what a wasted asset it is, located perfectly for the Gipsland Holiday Trade. We had come from Sale and if I had known it was so easy to get to the railway without going in to Melbourne we would have gon on our way in.
Not a singal sign on the main road or on the way up.
Only a few pic' due to the waether & a could not resist a Melbourne tram pic for the Tram Fans

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I thought Gembrook was lovely, it has a real traditional country town feel about it and the station was impressive. However, don't make the mistake we did. On arrival at Gembrook we stayed to look over the engine and station before wandering up the road to lunch. As a result, the cafe was full and we had trouble getting a meal. So eat first, browse second.

Peter

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:bighug: 9 years since I was last there, went all the way to Gembrook, found it really worth while. Pub was OK then. Just love the whole set up, been there 3 times now, and will go again next time in Mebbin.

oldoak

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Dorset & Canberra
Best answers
Now I have worked out how to get the pic's up this is the four from last week that did not go.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys.....

i went on the puffing billy for my 14th birthday 2 years ago.............

i find the weather is quite cold to what melbourne was bracing for this summer:thinking:

hope fully this will be the hottest it gets :D

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Is the museum at Menzies Creek open these days? If so, can one visit by train without being left there all day until a return train arrives? I think in this case SWMBO would begin to suffer from metal fatigue before the journey home.

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
im pretty sure its still open...

my question is what they did with the broad gauge loco there?

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
C&S said:
Is the museum at Menzies Creek open these days? If so, can one visit by train without being left there all day until a return train arrives? I think in this case SWMBO would begin to suffer from metal fatigue before the journey home.

The museum was closed as it had some loco's stored there which contained asbestos. These loco's were 3'6" gauge and have been given away and removed to more appropriate heritage railways. viz: Queenscliff.

It is anticipated that the museum will open in the near future.

No need to be left there all day as trains run on 4 per day to 6 per day timetables depending on new summer bushfire restrictions.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
mikka said:
im pretty sure its still open...

my question is what they did with the broad gauge loco there?

Hi mikka,
the broadgauge loco there was a J class. It was not a museum piece. It was there to be restored by the PBR.
It is in private ownership and was stored on the Yarra Valley heritage rail at Healesville.
It is now operating on the Goldfields railway between Maldon and Castlemaine. It will one day return to Healesville.

The J class were the last loco's to be brought into service by the VR and were being introduced still during diesalisation.
They had a high boiler to enable them to be easily converted to standard gauge.