Pruning scale trees

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Keep planting Rob...just keep them watered as firs are a real swine if they get dry.
Once they have been shaped with a hard prune, it is just a case of keeping on top of the new growth. They take on the appearance of bonsai even though the roots are not being trimmed.
In fact I planted all of the trees in the BeaverCreek station and yard area still in pots with the bottoms cut out to help them survive in the up to 7 inch depth of aggregate but also to try and 'bonsai' them to a limited extent. This has worked as far as survival is concerned but the potted bonsai characteristic has only really worked an a few of them so it is down to the continual pruning...no pain, no gain :D

A couple more shots of trees with snow on them. If they have a little resemblance to the real sized thing then when snow is on them they almost can take on a real feeling of their taller cousins

2cd8ce6523034bd0b8aca07d9903f144.jpg

0b3fd77c9d9344d8884db307a23662e1.jpg

c20b185931794918bcf0cbfb4e68ab1a.jpg

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Love the snow pics Mike :clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
Great photo's of your trees Mike :clap:
Mick that Buxus looks fantastic :Donce you start you can't stop still have a few to do on my line sorry i didn't do you a show you how last year will do a thread when i start pruning :clap:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:I had forgotten who had the thread - but not the subject matter! I love to see other people's gardens (not just railways) but I am no gardener myself when it comes to choosing plants etc.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is a good section in pruning and keeping things in check in this book "Miniature Garden Handbook" by Nancy Norris (it is produced by the Garden Railways stable). There are also many many examples of planting and some great layouts shown.