PRR 490797 – Double Ended Tunnel Crane

thegalline

Registered
29 Jan 2011
Best answers
Here is my latest 1/29th scale venture. This crane was designed to work around, through and under the City of New York. Electric powered, self propelled, it ran off of the 3rd rail or batteries. The model is 100% scratch built from laser cut and etched styrene.

Alan www.thegalline.com

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thats an impressive model - full marks.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice! Unusual crane(s) - didn't realise anything like that existed.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful piece of work. The myriad assortment of railroad rolling stock, never ceases to amaze me. I learn about something new all of the time.

thegalline

Registered
29 Jan 2011
Best answers
This was one of those obscure, task specific pieces of equipment that you do not see every day. Not a lot of information available on it.

This link is to the most info that I could find on the crane. http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/amtk16000.html

For more pictures of my model click this. http://www.thegalline.com/Page20prr490797.html

Thanks
Alan

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
thats a master peaces.. beautiffly done.. ???

Granpuff

Lost Engine
29 Mar 2014
East Beds
Best answers
Country flag
What a fantastic model of an unusual prototype.
Do you have any further information as to how the power sources were used - as in 3rd rail for propulsion then juice off and battery power for working? and did 3rd rail running recharge the batteries?
Just interested ;)

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Fantastic piece of craftsmanship :D

thegalline

Registered
29 Jan 2011
Best answers
Grandpuf

After phone discussions with the site owner, a few other knowledgeable PRR people, and 2 months of research, I found that about all of the information available on this crane was contained on that page link that I posted above. There are quite a few unanswered questions about the car. I made a few suppositions when I designed the model including the location of the batteries and resistor banks . How they functioned I think is lost to time. I hope I am wrong about that.

I also made some educated guesses about the booms and their relationship to the winches. Not at all straight forward compared to most cranes.

Alan

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Absolutely superb.

D

Deleted member 1986

Superb model, fascinating prototype.

Granpuff

Lost Engine
29 Mar 2014
East Beds
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Alan - For some reason I only saw the first page of the info when I followed your link when I looked last time but this morning there is a lot more..... and indeed there is some text from the 'Electric Railway Journal' 9th May 1914 that states the batteries could be charged from the third rail making the machine ready for the next emergency... :)