Protecting electrics in winter?

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Winter's finally coming to Prague and i am wondering how best to protect the pointwork this year. How do you who are living in similarly chilly winter zones do it?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I just use mine a lot - keeps things moving and kicks the dirt out. A good squirt of WD40 is recommended by many but not tried it myself.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Last job before putting the trains to bed is set all points to the main line. If they freeze you can still run trains on the main line. It's not recommended to try to free frozen points.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
after each testing session , i try and remember to set the points to alow a free running session ,if the points frezzes, othere than that, its then up to the weather, if tracks iced up, wait till the sun melts it, or scrap it off..

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
I find its not the temperature that's the problem, its ******* rain!!!
I either take up the points, as this year, leaving everything else or coat the soft metal arms of the armature with some water resistant stuff. Grease or light oil and then plug as many holes in the point motors as possible. This am about to do as I want to run trains again. Can't wait until better weather. This from a rain sodden North Yorkshire,

E

Elmtree Line

If your intending on running and want points operating something like some plastic carrier bags weighted down over the points will keep snow etc off them, simply lift off when you want to run ;)

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
If your intending on running and want points operating something like some plastic carrier bags weighted down over the points will keep snow etc off them, simply lift off when you want to run

Yes, this is what I have done in the past, but I am thinking of this year putting some kind of insulating material inside the bags. We have colder winters than in the UK. Today it is still -1C at midday and the rest of the week is forecast to stay below freezing.

Anyway thanks to all for your helpful advice. Will be running today, need to give a debut to 2091 OBB diesel, fresh from Nurnberg auction:)

RH Prague

28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought How about bubble wrap, inside the plastic bags, as the bubbles are sealed, they should in theory act as insulation. Maybe it's just one of my pea brained, daft ideas.....

Sounds like a rather good idea. I was going to use polystyrene sheet, but of course bubble wrap will wrap around better.
Cheers !