DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not planning another project, but I have been pondering over a thought which I mentioned to a modelling colleague and we think it could become an idea.

The ponder is a G Scale(ish) tramway layout, nothing complicated or fancy, but something that looks like a model tramway rather than the uncomplicated layouts I have tended to see at the limited number ofexhibitions displaying larger scale models.

The ponder is something a kin to a U shape, 2 straight front boards with 2 corner boards, and a clip on board at the front with a promenade come beach, relief building's at the back with a Rothesay feel. One corner with something like the big gate on Douglas Head Marine Drive Tramway leading to a hillside tunnel, the opposite corner with the line going off scene through some buildings.

All very much a ponder and not a plan; quite a bit of inspiration responsible for the pondering has been the Ormsgill layout.

What do folk here think about the thought of a scale (ish) model tramway in a larger scale, and secondly the thought about the theme, considerations, pros and cons and general thought about this ponder, that could become an idea and in turn possibly a plan?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A G scale tramway is a good idea, you can certainly use R1 curves with impunity even if you make them yourself to represent grooved tramway rail by whatever means. Points should be easier as well utilising just a single blade. But also overhead is a must as well. Home made overhead is quite possible with effort, picking up from that and return via rails should give you better running. A Depot also a big must to keep all those trams dust free in between operating sessions. We did have a guy in the Forum from Oz that built a great modest sized line in his garden, well worth hunting for for inspiration.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
As a child I remember being captivated by a tram layout at a display in Wakefield, and it all came back when I saw a model of part of the Luton system in the Mossman Collection; I think the latter got removed when the museum was renovated a few years back. So I'd say go for it! I don't know if grooved tramway rail is available in our scale, though?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I gave considerable thought to building a "G" scale tramway layout. But my "O" gauge toy train roots won out. But still, a tramway layout can be built in a rather limited space. So who knows, I may yet find a crevice to fit one in. It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission from SWMBO.....;)

Forge ahead, David.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
What do folk here think about the thought of a scale (ish) model tramway in a larger scale,

Not at all local to you, but the Whiteleaf Light Railway (as presented at last weekend's London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace) can alternatively be presented as a tramway, with a tram shed located within a balloon loop . . .

1679487245792.png1679487566195.png

. . . and tracks running through a "Town Square" . . .

1679487336227.png1679487462328.png

. . . and all 'under wires'.

Cheers

David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I gave considerable thought to building a "G" scale tramway layout. But my "O" gauge toy train roots won out. But still, a tramway layout can be built in a rather limited space. So who knows, I may yet find a crevice to fit one in. It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission from SWMBO.....;)

Forge ahead, David.
Their is a couple of us looking to build a model of Lower Granton Road in Edinburgh in 7mm scale based in the 1920's period, the road with the trams falls from left to right, and the railway set up on an embankment falls from right to left.
Baseboards are built but we need to complete and existing 7mm scale distillery layout for an exhibition in June this year.

SHMBO has given up trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing, she will occasionally try but I just let her have a rant and take her for diner occasionally for some domestic harmony, sort of. To be honest I think my wife is still getting use to the concept of larger scale trams in her life he he.

To be honest I'm not really sure where this pondering is going, its a reasonable idea, but how best to make the idea work to achieve the aim of a fine scale(ish) looking layout, more pondering required, thoughts and ideas from folk here would be much appreciated.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Not at all local to you, but the Whiteleaf Light Railway (as presented at last weekend's London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace) can alternatively be presented as a tramway, with a tram shed located within a balloon loop . . .

View attachment 311407View attachment 311410

. . . and tracks running through a "Town Square" . . .

View attachment 311408View attachment 311409

. . . and all 'under wires'.

Cheers

David
I saw this layout last year at Crich which started some head scratching, I have been communicating with two folk involved with the layout since Crich, very helpful folk they have been too.

Smallest track radius will be 750mm which I believe equates roughly to R2 curves.

Lets see where ideas and suggestions here take me, ponder ponder.

Arthur Dawson

Registered
6 Mar 2023
Westhoughton, Bolton, BL5 2ED UK.
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not planning another project, but I have been pondering over a thought which I mentioned to a modelling colleague and we think it could become an idea.

The ponder is a G Scale(ish) tramway layout, nothing complicated or fancy, but something that looks like a model tramway rather than the uncomplicated layouts I have tended to see at the limited number ofexhibitions displaying larger scale models.

The ponder is something a kin to a U shape, 2 straight front boards with 2 corner boards, and a clip on board at the front with a promenade come beach, relief building's at the back with a Rothesay feel. One corner with something like the big gate on Douglas Head Marine Drive Tramway leading to a hillside tunnel, the opposite corner with the line going off scene through some buildings.

All very much a ponder and not a plan; quite a bit of inspiration responsible for the pondering has been the Ormsgill layout.

What do folk here think about the thought of a scale (ish) model tramway in a larger scale, and secondly the thought about the theme, considerations, pros and cons and general thought about this ponder, that could become an idea and in turn possibly a plan?
Dafydd, we have already a set of G scale boards in a module form all thought about, per TLRS recently, just need doing taking from a plan to an actual layout. Nothing complicated about that, just mould the plan to do what you want. 1500 X600 units easy to do.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Dafydd, we have already a set of G scale boards in a module form all thought about, per TLRS recently, just need doing taking from a plan to an actual layout. Nothing complicated about that, just mould the plan to do what you want. 1500 X600 units easy to do.
Arthur,

Welcome to the forum.

If this goes forward, and messages today from a modelling colleague makes me think it quite possibly will, it will be constructed with a compatibility with the new G Scale tramway modular standards.
I'm not sure where this pondering is going just now, but I have already been asked when we plan to visit Rothesay and Ardbeg where the old depot is.

600mm depth is exactly what we were measuring up last night, length is the unanswered question, 1.2m or 1.5m, as with any project much thought is required, and this hasn't progressed to the project stage yet, still pondering.
The other challenge is my present room is a little less than 3m long.

More pondering required

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
1.2m will fit in most cars.. 1.5m not so much..

If you go 1.5m, you can only have one module setup in your workroom, as well.

PhilP

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
More pondering has taken place, and the itch to build an exhibital something hasn't gone away.

The present thought is something very simple akin to the attached, and quite happy for it to be fictional although it must have a Scottish aspect to it in some way. the sketch which was drawn many moons ago now is what we thought could make an interesting concept, well two concepts considered really.

1) the double track swings and follows a road to the front of some properties similar to the photo of Rothsay water front, a few buildings of slightly differing designs but most importantly not overly difficult to model, the single track at the front would go along a sea wall, for deliveries off sea going craft, or just a layover point for vehicles out of service.
2) the double track swings and follows a road to the front of the layout, while the single track could go off to a layover siding cum stabling point with possibly a wee storage shed and possibly a wee good shed along the lines of the one at Ramsey (prototype for everything floating around the grey matter), not sure what the backscene would be for this option though :think: , possibly a stone retaining wall with a something??? backscene.

Which ever scenic option we go for using this track plan, it will be built on two 1.5m long x 600mm deep baseboards, which with some fiddling and firking can could be accommodated in my wee room without going in to the hallway, the only time the two boards would need to be assembled together tough would be when track is laid across the board joint and when any scenic colouring work was carried out, a cost exercise should confirm however if a temporary kitchen occupancy permit could be obtained, it has happened once before and it only cost one evening out for dinner and the cinema.

Anyhow, that's where the pondering has got to so far.

1691676576852.png
1691676953082.png