Project for a rainy day - a coaling tower

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Waaaaay back in the dark ages of the 1990s, Bachmann decided their brand new battery powered large scale train set needed a building or two. So they took the old 1/48 Plasticville coaling tower kit and changed the 'O' to a 'G' on the instructions........ Better than nothing -- but not by much.

I had one, from the original set. It sat on a shelf for YEARS. Eventually I put it on stilts and stuck it in the garden when I built the first AV 10 years ago.
garden4.jpg

Then, sometime during the big D, it just disappeared....

When we drained the old pond to move it last spring we found some broken parts of it. All I can guess is it must have got clobbered by a playground ball or something?

I came across the bits today while looking for something else. Sooooooooooo, I ended up sidetracked all afternoon.......
P3240024.jpg

P3240023.jpg

With a few more odd bits and some paint, it might just work. At least it isn't so obviously O-scale anymore!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Well. it's finished..... or as finished as it's gonna get this year. I dithered about how to do the chute winch and decided that since it's back is to most close views just a bit of wire was fine. It still needs a lower ladder/stairs, but I don't have any left at the moment.
P3240018.jpg

Then (of course) I had to repaint the water tank to match
P3240021.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Both look great Mik :D If i ever get the time i would like to build a coaling tower .

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Just a quick addendum to show it in the garden... I think it came out acceptable. Folks wanting a larger one could always splice two side by side or back to back or even 4 in a square - then use the extra bits to make them taller-- they're cheap enough 2nd hand.
P3250018.jpg

P3250019.jpg

Reactions: 1 user