Powerfeeds to the tracks!

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I'm similar to Neil on this one:
DCC, about 300' brass LGB flex track, rail clamps, and one feed works just fine. I rarely need even 5A though, to run about three LGB trains with sound. If you are using 10A or more, then as Greg says you would probably be safer to put in more feeds.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I go along with Sparkey, perhaps 2 or 3 Sections Isolated and switched with a Power Feed at Each End. Yes some feeds will be next to each other but no matter it does make things as fail safe as they can be. Do not forget LGB Graphite Paste in all joints and Track Feeds if they are Bolted on.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thats called a quarter inch bar here.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
for my indoors layout i use 1mm² multistring cables (some even thicker) for everything. (track, switches, lights)

nowhere do i have more than 10ft of track (sectional, brass) between feeders. the longest feeders are about 35 ft. long.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
6.5mm2. I think you may be on for a record there mate. And I'll bet voltage drop is not an issue!
Ferzackerly - cracked it on one.

Given that there is a likelihood of voltage drop once the little volts start dancing across the fishplates, then the aim was to make sure that all of them were still there when the power leads were connected to the track.

It worked OK on the WWSR which had about 180 ft of track and two feeds - haven't yet worked out a plan for WWNR which will have double the track length.

Having said that, I need to do something quick as the turf is going down in 8 days time :snooze::snooze::snooze::snooze::snooze::snooze: