Ponds lakes water features...

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
So an idea for a pond. As I would like a little lake with a G scale man in a G scale steam launch on my tramway I thought maybe I should make a "lake" that is actually a very small fibreglass pond made by laying up a fibreglass pond in a plastic container of suitable size and while the resin is still wet cover it with dry sand to give a natural appearance? What do you chaps think? Oh filled with real water.... Its the only way I can think of doing it as the layout will be elevated and built on sheets of marine ply into which a suitably sized hole would have to be cut....

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
any pictures? mmm

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
there will be.... but can you wait till I actually do the job? LOL

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Interesting, bear in mind liquids weigh more than you think ( well most people think) a gallon weighs 10 lbs, but if the pond is shallow enough for the vessels to float freely, I would say go for the largest surface area you can, with a believable entry way in & exit for realism.
If you can rest base directly on supportwork AND its shallowish, weight may be no problem. Can you show us step by step as you go?
photos always tell more than words!!!!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
trev i think its great idea
my koi pond is fiberglass-and rather large-like 1200 gallons! in the ground

i know this isnt what youre thinking of

here are some thoughts from my experience

first make it thick, use lots of reinforcing fibre web-dont be cheap in materials, make many layers-id say at least 5--you might wish to use wire mesh -install into your framework -support-then cover with fibreglass

-thin will crack like and egg-thick will last decades, make it have a flat bottom (?? makes so you can sit things in it-like a plastic plant-rock etc) and in your case-it is likely to need under supports

if you like-find water proof paint and graduate color-ie very dark at the bottom and lighter toward the rim-and the rim should be curled a full 180 degrees for added rigidity to the side - unless you use rigid support and this isnt an issue

if i might, dont add sand-heres the concern-
water features grow stuff-a smooth surface is easier to clean --otoh-since yours is more a model in style than a real living pond -you might give it a go-its just that fibreglass is rather expensive to experiment with -i think a careful paint job will take care of things-or you could use sand around the top 3-5 inches-

consider too
possibly a shelf around the edge for unerwater potted plants- ?? -dont know if this a consideration-but it can add real life to an otherwise static feature

some other thoughts
water features are fun- and-to keep things fresh-you mightl want a pump to circulate water-better still -a small fountain (??-even a mere burble to the surface to keep water moving a bit) maybe not in your case -this aerates the water, keeps the water much cleaner (natural UV and air tend to keep bacteria down) -

they must be dead level -the rim i suggest looks not so great but is forgiving in this regarde aompared to a flush mount

-large retailers that sell garden stuff often have ready made black plastic pond fits-terraced, pump, sometimes lights-these seem a very easy way to try a pond and look like it might do the trick-whether you can get them to look/size integrated and natural is a question-but water features really can be a joy-underwater light(s) can really bring them to life as a night time garden /patio feature

it is difficult to get real water to look real on a small shallow install-painting will be critical to give the illusion of depth-ie shading

just some thoughts

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Trev ,

Thank god you?re in Australia here in the bright and sunny UK i had one of these solar power pumps in my front garden for a year i believe the pump worked for a hole hour one day.
In the end i left the solar panel out there but bought a new mains pump it had the neighbours stumped for ages :rofl:
We Like ponds :D
3252cd4d0fde49b9944652746a5f8496.jpg