POLA 331022 Hofladen

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I have come to really appreciate POLA buildings. I like the detail of exposed brick, stones, and more artistic expression, compared to some of the PIKO line. And at least in the US, as a buyer that has many sources, via the net, they seem to be more scarce and expensive in the past years. I often see that items are sold out at the Faller site.

I tend to think that these accessories may be as sought after as any "collectible" LGB, as they give our trains context.

For my Christmas present to me, I purchased the housewares kit. A large two story structure; an amalgam of the first floor of the old Smithy offered by POLA years back , and, the top story from the newer two story residence kits.

As always the kit is robust, fits beautifully with a bit of attention to trimming sprues and mold flash. The instructions are pictorial, and I found a couple of mis-printed numbers for some parts in the printed diagrams, causing me to search long and hard before I was comfortable with making an assumption as to what I ought to use.

This kit is one of an increasing trend I see with POLA, in that it has more detail parts, and interior decorations. Some here may recall my two story flower shop, built this summer which has a rather nicely detailed retail display "box" window displaying "flower shop wares". That particular kit had 'details' which were .......convenient to the manufacturer (ie 'repurposed' from other kits) and not specifically suited to flower shop application/decoration imho, ie window frames, crates, barrows, all made to do.

The houseware store (Hofladen) has much nicer and appropriate specialty details, including large pails of honey, jars, scales, bread , crates, prepainted veggies and fruits, rather unrealistic and oddly colored bottles, and other items. These details are really quite nice, not only in terms of cost saving (doll house details, which I frequently use add up quickly) and, painting time. They are not unique to this kit, but, at least seem......plausible.

POLA used to have crystal clear window material, but now has a bit more hazy material, good in general no interior building imho, but a shame given the nice details in this kit. One can only view them via side windows or through the garage style doors (or if the roof is not glued down). As I have lighted this building with 4 large lamps, the details are somewhat apparent when lighted, but not easily made put due to this less than clear window glazing material.

Overall, the building is ...large, robust, and heavy. Because of its configuration and details, it would seem to suit either a village or single roadside structure. This new kit is quite a bit taller than, say, the old onion domed church by POLA. Like many things in the world, things are getting bigger for POLA.

Now for the obligatory eyewash....!!!! sorry for my messy bench.
POLA%20housewares%20001_zpspfhyx186.jpg

POLA%20housewares%20002_zpscrgle0p7.jpg

crimbo%202017%20002_zpsajqpw16r.jpg

crimbo%202017%20003_zpseisk8gyp.jpg

POLA%20housewares%20004_zpsbxzktfww.jpg

with the many crates, and interior bits, as well as pallates, and scales (not shown) this kit took more than a few hours to finish. As you can see, its not been weathered or super detailed as of yet.

Price......best I could find, $221 US, delivered.

I have to say, I usually take liberties, but i built and decorated this kit per the diagrams, with the exception of the flower boxes on the porch. It was a very convenient and nice kit that produces a reasonably interesting and detailed stock finished model.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The only down-side I can see, are the plain white interior walls..
Looks like they are used in another mode? - Appear to have support pieces moulded in for interior walls??

Excellent you get all the detailing parts though..
This seems to be quite common with the Pola kits?? - Have I got this right?

PhilP.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like they are used in another mode? - Appear to have support pieces moulded in for interior walls??

PhilP.
Yes, the interior walls are ....not finished and not truly model quality as far as interiors. Otoh, when peering in from the outside, especially in a garden setting, imho, more than adequate.

And, for the decades i have purchased Pola structures, a few have extra details, always for exterior, ie barrels, oil drums, crates, benches, chairs and umbrellas, etc. imho, it is the details, along with coloring, painting, and black wash over parts which make Pola so much more appealing than the plain and utilitarian look of Piko offerings.

Now, i have seen a trend to have some of the "new structures" (typically a new assemblage of old components) have more details, some for the interior, some not.

I speculate the add ons are to entice a buyer to see an old familiar structure in a new light, beyond merely changing color schemes.

I would say interior bits are not common in general. The majority do not have these in my experience.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP.

Certainly a lot of the newer release kits seem to come with a lot of interior and exterior detailing and extra accessories - some of the more recent "shop/business" kits (like the Laundry, the Wine Store, Bakery and such) even come with an appropriate "company vehicle" included (a Goli trike, a Merc van or one of the Borgward lorries).

I recently bought a Pola kit for a Roast Chicken stall, which has full kitchen details inside and a complete commercial rotisserie in the back with a whole sprue of dozens of little chickens to be roasting inside.... it is crying out for the rotisserie spits to be motorised and the clear cabinet to be illuminated..... ;)

Pola does re-use a lot of parts, which is understandable given the costs of tooling for big kits like this, and you'll often find quite a few extra bits left over on the sprues after you've finished the kit - especially things like window frames, gutters and drainpipes etc.

Jon.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Havent seen the bakery or the chicken stall. Such is life in the colonies.....

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased the housewares kit.
I got confused by that: I was expecting a kit of pots and pans, brooms and buckets. "Hofladen" is a sales outlet in a farm building (in this case a farm house), where the farmer sells mostly his/her own produce. The gaudily coloured bottles might contain fruit syrup.

Nice looking kit and thanks for the review!

Reactions: 1 user

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a very nice kit with with excellent detail.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I got confused by that: I was expecting a kit of pots and pans, brooms and buckets. "Hofladen" is a sales outlet in a farm building (in this case a farm house), where the farmer sells mostly his/her own produce. The gaudily coloured bottles might contain fruit syrup.

Nice looking kit and thanks for the review!

Title changed. Sorry for my sloppy translation.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of Pola kits, the large station and a church, which have lived outside for 6 years in all weathers with no signs of deterioration or fading other than a church bell rusting.
One thing I found odd was that both kits had masses of duplicate components mainly entire sections of brick or stone facings.
Although I have retained them I have yet to find a use for them!