Playmobile coupling height

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Having carried out a little work I need to check some clearance, so out with the Playmobile battery powered diesel, and behind it a number of LGB/Bachmann trucks. To my surprises the trucks kept coming uncoupled from the loco. Closer inspection show the Play mobile loco (and wagons) have the bottom of their loop higher than both LG and Backmann, so on some of the (not so level) the truck uncouple, there being only a hook on the truck. Place a Playmobile wagon between the loco and LGB and the loco stays attached and the LGB stays coupled to the Playmobile wagon due to double hooks. How do the rest of you manage this issue, or do you not mix manufactures.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Must admit I don't recall encountering problems like that when I did couple Playmobil and LGB together on my line, but I probably didn't do it that often simply because the Playmobil stock has double buffers and LGB a centre buffer so just didn't look good coupled together. Much of my stock is American style so uses knuckle couplers anyway, rather than hook-and-loop.

I did "steal" Playmobil's idea of having the hooks weighted rather than sprung, on some cheap HLW hopper wagon kits I built. I didn't fit the coupling spring, instead I glued a couple of steel nuts to the back of the hook. It made the wagons much easier to uncouple just by pressing down on the top of the hook.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Having carried out a little work I need to check some clearance, so out with the Playmobile battery powered diesel, and behind it a number of LGB/Bachmann trucks. To my surprises the trucks kept coming uncoupled from the loco. Closer inspection show the Play mobile loco (and wagons) have the bottom of their loop higher than both LG and Backmann, so on some of the (not so level) the truck uncouple, there being only a hook on the truck. Place a Playmobile wagon between the loco and LGB and the loco stays attached and the LGB stays coupled to the Playmobile wagon due to double hooks. How do the rest of you manage this issue, or do you not mix manufactures.
I think the yellow diesel coupler loop is slightly higher than the PM stock couplers. I've had PM stock unhook from other PM stock on less than flat track also. Putting a rubber band tightly on the coupler hook to better secure it up to it's own loop(so it's harder to push down) can make the connection better, particularly on weighted hooks which might bounce unhooked on a bumpy track(black rubber bands look best). There are also different versions of PM loops on PM stock, some are a bit taller than others.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you pull the PM Couplers out of their sockets and return them the other way up the issue is solved.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
There are two different styles of coupling loop on Playmobil locos. Once has a raised lip and this type is the one JonD is referring to I believe. I've never had any problems particularly with Playmobil and other stock coming uncoupled, but then most of my rolling stock has a hook and loop at each end.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are two different styles of coupling loop on Playmobil locos. Once has a raised lip and this type is the one JonD is referring to I believe. I've never had any problems particularly with Playmobil and other stock coming uncoupled, but then most of my rolling stock has a hook and loop at each end.
Yes my Battery Shunter had the raised lips. I have used Double Hooks on all Rolling Stock, Motive Power has no hooks but the hook is reduced in height by 20-30 thou. This makes unwanted uncoupling a rare event. The PM Loco was not easy to modify hence the turning of the Coupler which fitted the bill perfectly.