dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having got mine for £90 all in, the above post comes the day after I got mine. Ah well its only Money you cant take it with you.

Anyhow following Paul's advice I set to on removing well trying to remove the body with the 16 Clips and Cocktail Sticks. I wanted to remove the chassis first and this was a bit of a task till I realised the the 4 Screws and 4 BLACK clips (2 each end) allow the chassis out. Even then it is a job to remove the body and I decided to razor saw all the clips off as they became visible. The last 4 pretty much behind the wheels central position that hold the Cab Portion are the real pain and you do not get to see 2 of them till the Chassis is out. What a palava. Still the body is now off and it still works. So I can at least get round to doing what I want. What this will be is to be sorted, but I think either yellow as a Harz Track Maint Loco or perhaps Red and Creme ala Kamel. But certainly with the Diode Slow Down Job for a slower speed.

Im an idiot mode on.

Paul trying to fully understand the Diode Alterations. Do they actually slow and make the speed steps better without the switch. If so what exactly is the effect of the switch. I think you may have said i but I still do not quite grasp it - sorry.

Im an idiot mode not entirely off but not as on as it was.
JonD

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the switch is an optional extra that allows you to switch in different amounts of diodes, say if its still used by kids you can give it rapid movement again at the flick of a switch.
To be honest for most modellers though just do the diodes and ignore the switch option.
I went for four pairs which means step one now only changes over the lights and you get three speeds.
3 pairs of diodes gave 4 speeds but the front light only comes on as it moves off.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, many thanks for the clarification.

I went a bit further with the destruction (demolition) of the beast. I now have the body in its 2Hoods, Cab, Windows and Cab Inside bits. Much further use of Cocktail Sticks brute force, copious quantities of ignorance and just some luck I guess.

What do the manufacturers think that kids are going to use to pull theses apart - a lump hammer? Still it is ready for the mods now.

JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Paul, many thanks for the clarification.

I went a bit further with the destruction (demolition) of the beast. I now have the body in its 2Hoods, Cab, Windows and Cab Inside bits. Much further use of Cocktail Sticks brute force, copious quantities of ignorance and just some luck I guess.

What do the manufacturers think that kids are going to use to pull theses apart - a lump hammer? Still it is ready for the mods now.

JonD
You under-estimate the ability of young children to destroy almost anything, if they put their minds to it!
:D:impatient::thumbdown::rofl:
Of course, 'Grandad' is always expected to be able to repair it. - I do admit I find their blind-faith in my abilities endearing!
:love::D

Is Personal
24 Oct 2009
Darlington
Best answers
EXTERMINATE!!!!! I just love those Daleks!!!

Mobi

Registered
21 Jul 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Is there any way to replace the plastic wheels with metal ones?

Or that is nearly impossible? :-\

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Would be simple if you can find some with the same axle diameter hole, or if you have a lathe to turn up bushes or drill out the wheel. One of those jobs that's easy with access to the right tools.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Mobi said:
Is there any way to replace the plastic wheels with metal ones?

Or that is nearly impossible? :-\
Why do you need to?
JonD

Mobi

Registered
21 Jul 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't need to just wanted :) but since it doesn't look like an easy task, I won't bother now.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Mobi said:
I don't need to just wanted :) but since it doesn't look like an easy task, I won't bother now.
That sounds like a better plan.
JonD

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
hi all, is this a proper radio control or line of sight control like a tv remote please? we have a "my first train" for my grandson and its infra red line of sight and not very accurate. considering getting one of these next but see the pad on the roof and not sure if its aerial or infra red sensor. grateful for any info please, thanx, mart....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of these locos that I left as is. I like it as do my grandchildren. The locos are almost bullet proof. The only thing I would have liked would if Playmobil had put clear window in the cab. The engineer figure is almost meaningless with the windows as they are.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
And it is R/C as opposed to IR

Robert Howard

Registered
1 Feb 2014
Derby UK
Best answers
The square on the roof is just plastic. No electronics there :)

Great train and my little boy loves it!

green park

Registered
25 Sep 2013
Best answers
hi guys, mine took a tumble off the track and since then the diesel sound does not work. the horn still does so the sounds must be on different chips i wonder? i have since taken it apart and put the electronics into a little green scratch built shunter running on a playmobile 040 chassis. works fine but wish i could get the engine sound again. any ideas please? cannot see anything loose on pcb's. thought i found a loose wire but its the aerial. thx, mart...