Piko V60 - Some Cautionary News From Germany

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I stumbled upon some comments about Piko's V60 in a German language forum today which may be of interest here. The comments go back to November 2009 when the V60 was first made available in Germany. The original forum (German language) is here:
http://www.spassbahn.de/view_topic.php?id=8102&forum_id=3

In summary, one poster had been unable to get his V60 around R1 (600mm) curves without manual assistance. After asking Piko for advice, Piko wrote back, saying:

1) The V60 can only negotiate R1 curves with difficulty - a minimum radius of Piko R3 is desirable.
2) The loco requires a minimum 3 amp supply to ensure smooth running. A starter set (1 amp) controller is insufficient.

Piko state that they will amend instructions and their web site to reflect this. The web site still says 600mm minimum as of today, six weeks later. To be fair to Piko, the current draw is clearly stated on the underside of the loco and is consistent with the other locos in Piko's stable, including the BR80. However, you can't know until you buy your first Piko loco!

This is Piko's advice, so be aware!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
55.5 said:
The transmission design appears to be very much like the LGB Mikado. I would also hazard a guess that if one removed the drive shaft between the two wheel units it would zoom around R1's albeit with some loss of traction. ( the rear (2 wheel unit) (unlike the Mikado) is just a shaft driven slave)))

I have to say, I now have 9 PIKO power units and the only one that causes me any problems is the railcar set.
Thanks for that response - most interesting. I still haven't seen a V60 in the flesh (plastic), so I'm intrigued to get more input.

Surprised that your railbus has issues. That's my first choice runner on the layout most days due to its free running and good rail contact!

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
It is worth noting that Piko R3 is LGB R2, so LGB R2 and above should be OK. I am waiting for the release of the oceanblue version of the V60 - I always wanted one in that colour combination (reminds me of my childhood...).

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
Brought one of these locos a couple of day's ago, as the weather is not to good I fixed up a circle of radius one track and used a LGB 1 amp controller to run the loco in had it running at different speed's for nearly 3 h0ur's no problem's at all. To be hornest I thought Piko was a bit like LGB, all run on radius one , and not to power hungrey

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
mole said:
Brought one of these locos a couple of day's ago, as the weather is not to good I fixed up a circle of radius one track and used a LGB 1 amp controller to run the loco in had it running at different speed's for nearly 3 h0ur's no problem's at all. To be hornest I thought Piko was a bit like LGB, all run on radius one , and not to power hungrey

Very helpful info Mole - thanks! :clap:
By the way, do you have your Avatar's phone number? :D

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
bunnyrabbit03 said:
It is worth noting that Piko R3 is LGB R2, so LGB R2 and above should be OK. I am waiting for the release of the oceanblue version of the V60 - I always wanted one in that colour combination (reminds me of my childhood...).

Beg to differ, it runs a little deeper than that..

On their site ( http://www.piko.de/produkt_db/check.php?page=g-geometrie&grand_id=6&parent_id=2&sss=2 < Link To http://www.piko.de/produk...;parent_id=2&sss=2 ) , Piko give the following radii..

G-R1 = 600 mm (23.62”)
G-R3 = 921.54 mm (36.28”)
G-R5 = 1,243.08 mm (48.94”)

Sadly they don't make an R2 yet - :impatient: - everything above R1 sounds like strange numbers, but it actually all works out nicely - two R1 curves as a reverse curve (or points) make a crossover with the same sideway jump as going from R1-R2 (or R2-R3) that's also exactly 600mm long and so fits into the sectional geometry - G-R2 if they ever make it will presumably be 760.77mm.

LGB radii are normally quoted a bit more vaguely

R1 = 600mm
R2 = 760/762/765mm depending on where you look
R3 = 1175mm approx
R5 = 2320mm approx

So LGB-R3 and Piko-R3 aren't the same, but LGB-R2 (15000 series curves) and a theoretical Piko-R2 need to be for the whole sectional geometry to work. Piko R5 is where you'd expect it to be, as far out beyond R3 as that is from R1, but LGB R3 & R5 seem to be pretty random numbers - essentially they seem to have started again when they decided to do large radius curves points, and there's a whole new set of parts to kludge them into the existing 120.77mm track-centre system.

Jonathan

(edited to correct a couple of typos)