PIKO US stations

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
HNY folks.
I'm thinking about getting a PIKO "Grizzly Flats" or similar station kit. Can anyone tell me what actually comes with it? The advert illustrations show people, luggage, &c., &c., and in one shot even a water tower! I notice that baseplates, lights and sidewalks are available separately. Does that mean that the kit as supplied is fairly basic? Who produces Victorian era people, apart from a few by Schleich, which are a bit big for me?

Second question - despite feverish Googling, I can't find anyone who sells stripwood at sensible prices, especially for bulk purchase. I'm considering a 10-foot double track timber trestle - I reckon at least 100 yards??? At £1 a yard, that's not cheap, and a small table or band saw is looking to be a better investment.

Any thoughts?

matthew

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire
Best answers
The kits don't include any things such as people/platforms/platform equipment. This is the same with pretty much all manufacturers. Most photo's that advertise PIKO buildings usually have a red arrow pointing to the building that you are actually purchasing, as they tend to include much more than you actually get.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info - a bit like Airfix showing you an RAF plane attacking a U-boat - you only got the plane!

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi i have been kitbashing a truss platt bridges out of CARPET GRIPPER from wikoson in packet for 3 quids....just take the big grey nails out and aslo flatted with hammer for the small grip nails...or take out as u pleased.......got a plan for truss bridges at shed in case.....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
As Nico says, its worth getting a table saw!

I have a 12" one and still manage to cut down to 2mm thicknesses (plenty of sawdust though).

I have used pallets as well as good quality planed timber - with regard to the latter, select the thickness of wood (from one of your required trestle timber dimensions) so this measurement will remain a constant and the other measurement you control yourself! Also, planed timber generally shows its weak points (knots and shakes) up front so you can work out an economical cutting list to avoid waste.

Mick

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
the GF station is a great station-
it is beautifully detailed and proportioend, strudy and fits together well
imho one of the first and dsigned to compete with POLA-may have beeen a POLA design for all i know-and then PIKO got it somehow-its that similar in overall build and quality

as i recall-and its been years since i built mine-the decals , (but for the station name and the western union telegraph placard decal-,) are the same for adverstising as POLA -ie sozodont , little fairy , etc ie the same you get with SIlverton station -not bad at all just a repeat

it is imho nicely molded in whta i think of as southern pacfic colors

it has no details or goodies whatsoever, no baseplate, thin plastic windows compared to the styrene pola types
none the less i love this station as much as the POLA silverton station (fiwi the piko large water tower is also superb-)

if you have the money i would recommend baseplates as it sits better and looks better imho in the garden -helps keep rain spatter down a bit

this station in particular would lend itself nicely to interior details and finishing if you like as somehow it seems a bit more visible via the bay window

if you get it you wont be disappointed

it woud take only a little extra - freight dolly, benches , a scale- a barrel and a bit of freight or luggage -

presier has superb victorian figures-worth every penny once you see how nicely they are painted-having painted many lesser preiser figures with extra detail-once you figure the difference in time and money and materials -what seems pricey is actually very very reasonable

the bachman american figures, while large, also arent too bad if you simply want a lone station master or clerk-dulling down some will help them a bit

i also love the version in red and white

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds good! I've spotted one at a good discount, so maybe I'll have a go.
Thanks,
E.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Last year I typed 'stripwood' into e.bay and got a good deal.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
e.bay 320638630470 There might be enough in one of these bundles to build a trestle for around £7 if you are prepared to buy a saw.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
For a moment there, I wondered what you were going to say!:banghead: