Piko Switch motor/decoder

lownote

Registered
4 Jan 2013
Best answers
For some time now I've been using the TrainLi switch motor decoders, which have a DCC decoder and a switch drive built in. They work well, but they keep failing. I'm thinking of trying the Piko waterproof switch motor and single channel decoder instead. They advertise the switch motor itself as fully waterproof. The decoder is a small module that plugs into the switch motor box, then connects to the track.

I can't find much about either here in the US. Does anyone have any experience with these? They are more expensive than the Train Li equivalent.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
lownote said:
... I've been using the TrainLi switch motor decoders, which have a DCC decoder and a switch drive built in. They work well, but they keep failing. ...
In what way do they fail? Mechanical failure? Not waterproof? Electronics fail? Just curious. I think I've read some comments about these motors elsewhere but cannot recall the details.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
lownote said:
... I've been using the TrainLi switch motor decoders, which have a DCC decoder and a switch drive built in. They work well, but they keep failing. ...
In what way do they fail? Mechanical failure? Not waterproof? Electronics fail? Just curious. I think I've read some comments about these motors elsewhere but cannot recall the details.
Yes, I'd be interested to know too, as I have one on my layout and I was considering these for any future purchases....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I know Bigjack has some of the Piko motors on his railway, but I don't think he has tried their decoders?

I don't think he has had any problems with them....

lownote

Registered
4 Jan 2013
Best answers
I wish I knew how or why they failed. They just stop working. I have four on the layout at the moment, and two just quit within a few days of each other--just stopped responding to commands. I haven't taken either one apart yet to search for clues, but in the past there have been no clues visible.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
lownote said:
I wish I knew how or why they failed. They just stop working. I have four on the layout at the moment, and two just quit within a few days of each other--just stopped responding to commands. I haven't taken either one apart yet to search for clues, but in the past there have been no clues visible.

Not had this problem with the one I fitted last year as yet, although I have yet to operate the railway this year following its 'winter shutdown'.

Have you tried reprogramming them? They may have 'lost' their settings. Whatlep sent me some useful tips when I programmed mine.

I believe these also work on DC, so it may be worth trying to operate them this way to check the motor side is functioning....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Here is Peter's (Whatlep on the forum) guide for Train Line Motors which might be of use to you....

http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/track/train-line-45-point-motor---product-review-july-2011
Just to update that review, my Train Line motor has now survived two winters outdoors with no problems at all, but I took great care to make the connections with the external wires robust and daub everything external with enough silicone sealant to make the external connections self-supporting as well as waterproof. In my view the external connections are the weak point of the TL motor, both providing an easy way in for water and subject to breakage as they are simply metal prongs bent at 90 degrees and soldered to a board inside the motor without other means of support.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Gizzy said:
Here is Peter's (Whatlep on the forum) guide for Train Line Motors which might be of use to you....

http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/track/train-line-45-point-motor---product-review-july-2011
Just to update that review, my Train Line motor has now survived two winters outdoors with no problems at all, but I took great care to make the connections with the external wires robust and daub everything external with enough silicone sealant to make the external connections self-supporting as well as waterproof. In my view the external connections are the weak point of the TL motor, both providing an easy way in for water and subject to breakage as they are simply metal prongs bent at 90 degrees and soldered to a board inside the motor without other means of support.
I soldered wires to the pins before heatshrinking and protecting with aircraft grade mastic....