Piko Silberling bogie repair

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Totally unconnected with recent bogie problems on Hitachi 80x units

I had purchased a Piko Silberling driving trailer coach which ran well for a day, then the rear bogie broke. It had been repaired by a previous owner.

Replacement bogies are not yet showing on the Piko website.
However, browsing on that internet auction site...I spotted a bogie frame that looked right, it wasnt any of the other bogies that are fitted to their stock.

So for a few quid including postage it was mine.

The coach made a trip to the repair depot, and all is now well.

The stretcher is part 37520-0521, and the bogie side frames are 37520-0522 and -0523 ( which is the one that failed on mine )

DSCN3459.JPG

Last edited:

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
It took longer to get the coach out of it's outer carton then the inner polystyrene, and replace, than it did to swap the bogie over with 3 screws ( one for the pivot, 2 for the power wipers )

DSCN3455.JPGDSCN3457.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Totally unconnected with recent bogie problems on Hitachi 80x units

I had purchased a Piko Silberling driving trailer coach which ran well for a day, then the rear bogie broke. It had been repaired by a previous owner.

Replacement bogies are not yet showing on the Piko website.
However, browsing on that internet auction site...I spotted a bogie frame that looked right, it wasnt any of the other bogies that are fitted to their stock.

So for a few quid including postage it was mine.

The coach made a trip to the repair depot, and all is now well.

The stretcher is part 37520-0521, and the bogie side frames are 37520-0522 and -0523 ( which is the one that failed on mine )

View attachment 284814
That bogie would be repairable, glue it back together with some quality super glue like Hafix or 802. When set (leave overnight to be sure) strip some old mains wire and fuse a length into the main meat of the bogie joining both part together again with a soldering iron. Wear a mask as the fumes are nasty.

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The previous owner had used some sort of glue on the joint, but not puddled the glue or added any mechanical reinforcement.

My plan is to do so...

malcolm

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The previous owner had used some sort of glue on the joint, but not puddled the glue or added any mechanical reinforcement.

My plan is to do so...

malcolm
Indeed in such cases some sort of mechanical reinforcement is always to be recommended.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if we ought to tell Hitachi? :wondering:
Hells teeth never thought of that one, though perhaps their mounting points are too mechanical and may need some flexibility.