dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
From that distance, of course you can't see a difference...in fact I can hardly tell if they are two axle cars or four... but if you were anywhere close, or had them in your hands; you sure can tell the difference !!
BTW; just a suggestion, if I may....try to run that "Ore Train" a might bit slower, to give a better effect on the video...nice looking railroad...
Fred Mills
Slower that is always my quote to vids! To be homest the Russell never was a slow runner and that is why I have considered getting rid of it. But now that SloMo is available for the Roundhouse 0-6-0's there is a possibility that it may work for Russell as it has for my Jack and Stanley. Sadly that Railway is no more as the owner passed away a couple of months after the vid was taken.
JonD

AddictiveBiscuit

Steam Locos, Armoured Vehicles and Aviation
13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
Best answers
A bit closer together now.. Still think I can improve them. Sprayed black as well..
IMG_3209[1].JPG

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I had a rake of these ex-MDC/roundhouse hoppers and body mounted Bachmann knuckle couplers to get a better gap between the cars. I cannot recall the minimum curve possible as my railroad had ten foot diameter curves.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
This first pic shown a load out facilities for ore cars as used by the PRR. Similar installations might be found at other Great Lakes ports where the ore was loaded/unloaded from Lakers (Great Lakes boats) to ore cars for onward shipment to steel works. Over time ore was imported into the United States but much of what is now transported and has been for for a good many years is taconite pellets. (That is the red colour of model loads).
http://michaelfroio.com/blog/2010/0...lost-facilities-of-the-pennsylvania-railroad/

This pic shows the loading shutes which were common in ports at the western end of Lake Superior which are the nearest ports to the Minnesota mines.
http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newsthumbs/images-08-3/1-Michipicoten-7-24-08-djw.jpg

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/education/geology/digging/taconite.html

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Believe it or not, if you ever see a close-up picture of North American Ore cars, like the ones modeled by LGB; you would immediately notice that the outward wheel sets of both trucks come within two feet of the outward wheel sets of the car ahead and behind.
Will, or whatever your name is; I do appreciate your efforts to get the cars closer together, but as long as you are stuck, using loop hook couplers; you can never get them close enough to get the true effect.
With the cars as short as they are, and the trucks as far to the ends of the cars, as they are; there should be no problem operating VERY close coupled cars on curves down to two food radius, although a long train of 10 cars might not like the situation, and pull off on the curve...Kadee body mounted couplers would not be the problem, if mounted correctly.
Fred Mills

Reactions: 1 user