Piko kits and adhesives - problems

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would appreciate advice from the collective wisdom of the forum. I am trying to construct the Piko refinery loading dock item no. 62049. I am having a terrible time securing the handrails to the walkway frame as the Pola glue does not seem to take, and only makes a very superficial bond. This is a real problem as every time I try to secure the walkway itself (which clamps the handrails in place), I dislodge a handrail and have to reglue it.

By way of experiment I have tried gluing some of the surplus sprues togther with my preferred Pola cement, but also Piko's supplied UHU Plast - same unstaisfactory result.

Now I always believed that polysturene cements have a solvent effect on plastics, which allows the treated area to effectively melt, then harden to form a bond. I am open to correction on this as I'm an accountant not a chemist. I can see no sign of this melting effect on my test sprues, and even after being clamped tgther for the best part of a day they separate very easily, even after I have scraped a clean area to apply the cement. I have never experienced this problem before, including construction of the Piko passenger bridge which uses similar parts.

Does anyone have any experience to share, or comments on what the problem may be? All contributions appreciated.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have had lots of success with UHU Power. However this is not a fast setting glue so perhaps a super glue (good quality not the pound shop rubbish) may be the thing.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just found the thread on "PIKO Fix vs UHU Glue" I'm goiung to try the leaving it under pressure for 18 hours and see what happens.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Could it be the handrails are not actually polystyrene but some other more flexible plastic? Something that may be less susceptible to breakage?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
For stubborn plastics I use Carr's Butanone, melts ABS.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering that as well. I'll fish out some sprues from a troublefree kit and see if they react differently. Thanks for the hint.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the Butanone tip. More experimentaion required.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is usually the colour "wash" applied during manufacturing to give some form of "weathered" look. This "wash" acts as a barrier to the normal solvent properties of your chosen polystyrene cement/solvent. You must scrape/abrade this "wash" away where any parts are supposed to join. Max

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've tested for that (the wash as a barrier) although the items in question seem to the eye be an unwashed grey plastic.

So I scraped both surfaces down and tested with Pola and UHU Plast. Same problem.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, here in the USA, I did find a thick-bodied ABS solvent type glue, used for large ABS conduit... that did the trick, industrial strength.
We have a similar solvent for drains and sewer pipes, which is very good, but not for fine items.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, thick and messy, and note again, usually the sewer/drain pipes are black, and there is a black abs glue.

In this case (which I forgot to mention) I found a clear ABS glue but was still thick bodied, so would have to sort of "paint it on" from the inside where it won't show.

Not a perfect solution, but I had some very finicky plastics that just shrugged off the normal, watery MEK / styrene glues.

Greg

Andrew Foster

Registered
2 Jul 2010
Cambridge, Ontario
gnomengineers.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've used Plastruct Plastic Weld which says on the bottle that it joins ABS, styrene, butyrate and acrylic to itself and each other. I can't vouch for all those, but so far, it has been good. They recommend holding the parts together and an overnight cure, as it doesn't develop full strength immediately.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
My go to glues for difficult materials are ‘Powerbond’ brand of superglue and Devcon epoxy resin. They are not plastic solvent glues though.