Piko DCC

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I have decided to purchase the Piko DCC 5 amp system. While limitations like inability to update the central station and lack of programming track are evident, from a cost point of view and ability to use the Piko Navigator with an analogue controller, I decided that this was the setup for me. My prerequisite was to have the ability to retain a wireless analogue control. I could not see myself stepping completely away from analogue operation, due my extensive list of locomotives. Thus I had to have both DCC and analogue capability.

An imported Piko DCC setup, plus Piko 5 amp analogue controller will cost me around $850, against the same setup locally purchased for $1550. This will give me a 'dumbed down', but adequate DCC system plus a wireless analogue system. I am only looking for basic DCC functions and am not interested into delving deep into DCC operating menu capabilities.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Paul,
it will be a few weeks until the items arrive from the States (assuming currently in stock). Pity that Piko do not see fit to publish info on their site on the system. I used the Massoth Navigator as a guide for features. I have basically no info on the central station or the receiver. The Massoth receiver has a choice of four frequencies set by DIP switches on the receiver and programmable on the Navigator. I am hoping (?) the Piko has similar features.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Tim:
You should be able to locate a Piko system at grootspoor in Holland, a lot closer to you and most likely a better customer service experience than what you would get from US dealers. The people at grootspoor have knowledge and technical expterise about both the piko and massoth systems. The Massoth navigator and receiver are about the same price as the piko navigator and receiver and are totally compatible with the piko 5 amp central station. I would opt for the massoth navigator and receiver. If you are in the US, PM me and I may be able to help. I think the lack of information about the piko system on the piko website does not bode well for piko.

Mohammed

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mohammed,
I live in Australia, so in fact the U.S. is closer to me than Europe. MSRP on both Navigators and receivers show that Piko is $100 cheaper. The disadvantage with the Massoth Navigator and receiver are their incompatability with the Piko analogue 5 amp controller. It is essential to have this wireless analogue option. The Massoth may be better quality when used with the Piko central station but they cannot be used with the Piko analogue controller. As stated in initial posting, my decision to go with Piko was based on this wireless analogue capability. I would have preferred the Massoth to ensure compatability should I upgrade to a full blown Massoth system but could not do so.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello again Tim:
I am almost certain that if the piko navigator and receiver can interface with the piko analogue controller, the massoth navigator and receiver can do the same. You should able to find the answer to that on the Massoth english Forum @www.massoth.com. The current MSRP prices for the massoth navigator and receiver are $399, and $159 respectively and these price are valid throughout the summer.
Mohammed

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mohammed,
the Piko receiver has two different sized output receptacles. One is the typical RJ12 bus connector to the central station. The other is a larger analogue connector to the analogue controller. The Massoth standard receiver has two RJ12 output receptacles (no analogue facility). Massoth also make a 'universal' receiver (not yet released) designed to interface with the three types of MTZ released, but no mention of analogue output. The Piko Navigator is able to 'communicate' with the analogue function of the receiver. I have not seen that function on the Massoth Navigator, other than analogue mode when running an analogue locomotive on a DCC railroad.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info, the piko analogue throttle and the piko receiver have the same set of connectors as the LGB analogue throttle and LGB receiver. Now I understand.
Mohammed

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mohammed,
I have not seen the LGB MTS receiver connectors, but Piko is definately trying to persuade the potential LGB customer to his product with his pricing. Thus, his system is more aimed at LGB entry level, rather than to a Massoth customer.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Tim: I have the LGB digital, the LGB analogue, and the Massoth systems. The LGB system is one of the best entry system around and fully compatible with the Massoth system. The LGB system can manage up to 10amp with a booster but it is a bit expensive. A 5 amp system retails in the states for about $850 dollars, the booster adds another $260. I thought much like you about my foray into DCC, I wanted to be able to continue using the analogue option. It didn't work out they way. I am completely hooked on Digital. Check to see if you can control a loco without decoder with the piko digital system. The LGB and the Massoth system allow you to control one loco without a decoder on your layout, loco address 0.