PIKO BR64 INITIAL THOUGHTS AND INSTALLATION

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Some initial findings re scale, dimensions etc are to be found in another post as well as some photos re the installation of a Massoth decoder.
I prefer the sounds produced by ESU but installing one requires some modifications, but I believe they are very worthwhile. More on this and fitting auto couplers later on.
Firstly, though, when you remove the loco from the box you are presented with a model which appears to be far in excess of earlier Piko offerings. The level of detail is very good, and watching the valve gear in motion is absolutely delightful.

I was a little concerned that some of the more detailed parts, such as the smoke box door handle, are separate parts and are a “push-fit”. I suspect that some of these may get lost in use, so a small dab of glue may help. There is also a pack of additional items, such as stanchions and valve wheels and cylinder extensions which can be applied. There is also the ubiquitous Otto the Engine Driver with his characteristic pose which looks totally unsuitable for a steam loco. By sawing off his arm at the shoulder and gluing back in a lower position he has relinquished the look that is reminiscent of tackling a sheep from behind……. Some judicious passes with a file have removed his beard and glasses and a repaint has made him more passable.
The plastic looks as though it may be brittle, unlike LGB flexible plastic, but it appears it can take some rough treatment.

Placing the loco on the track and applying power produces an extremely well-controlled and smooth start with good control throughout the range; this is true even before the loco has been run-in. The smoke unit works quite well, producing reasonable quantities of smoke and can be left to run dry without harm. The lamps are LEDs and in the course of handling I managed to pull off one of the wires to one LED. An email on Monday to Piko prompted a courteous and swift reply and saw a free replacement on the Friday of that week landing on my door mat. Excellent customer service !
;)
I shall cover the installation of the ESU decoder and Massoth couplings in the next part, but so far my only regret is that I would love another one but they are difficult to obtain.
One final thought – if one German firm can produce this for around £400 then perhaps others should take note of this ?

Part Two to follow…..

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
When I saw one at GRS I thought that with the 4 wheel railbus you could make a superb german branchline. I only resisted because I have so much narrow gauge. Very impressive for the money and I'm glad to see the running qualities are up to the detail :)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a great review.. ???

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel