PIKO BR64 DECODER FITTING PART TWO

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
Otto-for-Web.gifNow for Part Two…..

Installation of a sound decoder.
Should you want to install a Massoth decoder and dedicated sound module then that is the easiest option.
Just remove the rear pony truck and the plate beneath and the circuit board can be lifted out. Unscrew the wires and connect the Massoth decoder. The sound module is ready-wired and after removing the body of the loco, the speaker can be installed (Visaton FR5). The beauty of this design is that Piko seem to have thought of everything, having provided wiring from the decoder to the front lamps and smoke unit. It really is that simple.
So why have I gone for an ESU unit ?
1) I have found that Massoth units take about 20-30 minutes to programme, whereas the ESU takes about 5 minutes, and my success rate with ESU programming is greater than with Massoth (others may disagree).
2) South West Digital in Weston Super Mare provide an excellent back-up service as well as being the UK importers.
3) The quality of the sound (IMHO) is superior to that of Massoth.
4) There are more sounds and functions with the ESU unit.
ESU have also made a dedicated Loksound programme which provides additional features :
When you turn on the lights the dynamo sound starts
When the loco changes direction there is a delay whilst the sound of the reversing rods is heard.
The loco acceleration is already pre-programmed (although you can alter this if you wish).

Attachments

• IMG_0443-Coupling-for-Web.gif
    IMG_0443-Coupling-for-Web.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 28