Picture re sizing

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
i need to reduce the megapixel size of my pics to post on the forum. Can anyone recoment a more intuative one (ie for computer illiterates) I have been trying to use PIXresizer but i get lost in loading the pictures as it only shows ther number not the actual picture. Is ther a better program or am i using it wrongly?
Thanks Guys. o and galls

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I use Picassa, it's free and to re-size, you view a picture in Picassa (when you look at the picture Picassa will automatically open up) and then you 'export' it (there's an obvious tab) and when you go to export it, you can adjust the pixel size.

I've used it for years and I'm a simpleton >:)>:)

Reactions: 1 user
FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
isnt microsoft stoping using Picassa?

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I use the resizing function in MS Paint to reduce picture size.

Just changing from 100 to 50% will give you a four fold decrease in size....

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager that comes with Windows 10

dig 190804002.JPG

David

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
The Shed

The Shed

Registered
isnt microsoft stoping using Picassa?
Google stopped supporting Picasa on March 15, 2016. No more versions were released, no bug fixes issued, and no support offered.
However, if you already have the software installed, it will continue to work. If you want to keep using Picasa, you can.

Version 3.9.138.150 for Windows available from here, download picasa free (windows)

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Another vote for MS Office Picture Manager.. - IF you have MS Office, or course!

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I notice that someone gave my post a thumbs up.

I'm assuming that they're concurring with me that I'm a simpleton >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I just click on the 'Insert Image' icon, drag and drop a picture into the area where it says Drop Image and then click on the inserted picture. Scroll down and you will see this dialogue box.
Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 16.10.50.png
The crossed arrows is the picture re-sizer. When you click on it, it says Auto. I type 800 in for the picture width, leave the height blank and click on Update.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I just click on the 'Insert Image' icon, drag and drop a picture into the area where it says Drop Image and then click on the inserted picture. Scroll down and you will see this dialogue box.
View attachment 269860
The crossed arrows is the picture re-sizer. When you click on it, it says Auto. I type 800 in for the picture width, leave the height blank and click on Update.
Hm a little confused are you referring to the Forum or elsewhere?

FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Yes that confused me also, but that is dead easy to do.

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Interesting, I've certainly never seen that functionality mentioned before, but yes it does work. Useful to know.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
4C245CB6-2072-43F8-9874-11BD95C7310E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
FrenchChuffed

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Well it worked on ipad i will look for it on the pc when i get there

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Everyone wants this to be simple, but you really should understand that "resizing" a picture is an ambiguous phrase.

The first thing to know is that the X and Y dimensions of a picture are measured in pixels... (Picture Elements)..... basically how many little points of light horizontally and vertically.

This is what controls how "big" the picture appears... as Frenchchuffed listed, way too large for most screens, his pictures are 2048 by 1536 pixels, that is why they are SO BIG !!!

(hint, make most pictures display around 1024 x 768 if you want to fit most pages)...

OK that is what most "resize" operations do, and they normally will tell you in PIXELS what the size is..

But you can run into another problem area....

Size as in the size in Bytes of the file that is the picture..... this is related to the compression of the picture, where a mathematical function is applied the picture to make it still look good, but use less information... changing the compression will NOT change the PHYSICAL size in PIXELS.

Why do I tell you about this? Because really good cameras can make HUGE files in the file size, and may take forever to upload, display, or the site just flat refuses to display.

So you want to be aware of both. Good software programs let you control both "types" of "SIZE".... crummy ones will only do the PHYSICAL size in PIXELS.

I use IRFanView, for the last what 20 years, free, comes in 64 bit version and does both PIXEL RESIZE - called resize in the program, and FILE RESIZE - called compression in the program.

Greg

GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
i need to reduce the megapixel size of my pics to post on the forum. Can anyone recoment a more intuative one (ie for computer illiterates) I have been trying to use PIXresizer but i get lost in loading the pictures as it only shows ther number not the actual picture. Is ther a better program or am i using it wrongly?
Thanks Guys. o and galls
From one computer illiterate to another what I do is for forums usually the US ones.
  • find the picture on my cameras SD card right on picture
  • then click on "send to mail recipient"
  • when asked by my email program (MS Outlook) I select default size ( 1024 x 768 )
  • then save to desktop or USB stick
  • then post from Desktop or USB to forum
For this forum and all the other UK based ones, I just find the picture by using "attach files" and download from either SD card or USB then add either full image or thumbnail forum takes care of the rest.

eg

Thumbnail
Stage 3 baseboards toward side fence.JPG
Full Image
Stage 3 baseboards toward side fence.JPG

From my experience the software used by UK sites are easy to post on, but the US ones make you jump through so many hoops that I have reduced my picture posting to a bare minimum.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hm so in the past the Forum did have a limit on the “File Size“ of the Picture, that got changed but is I believe still limited. This will I assume be so that we are not filling some Server Site somewhere or even a Hard Drive with millions of Bits, Bytes or whatever on that hard drive. All logical so far, noting what Kedwards pointed out that does not quite work like that for me, but I am posting mostly from my iPad.

Where I do run into problems is where I have taken a screen shot of something on the iPad and try to Post it here, there appears to still be that limit on “File Size“. So what I do is to Edit the screen dump within the iPad. to just include the content that I want rather than all the superfluous junk around it and the File Size is then acceptable. However any pics that I now take from my iPad or iPhone are accepted for “File Size”. Incidentally any pics that I have added to my iPad from my (quite old now) Panasonic Compact Camera DMCTZ-30, then download to the Forum are also accepted for “File Size”. I wonder if the iPad is doing fancy things with them pics?

Not what you want for you PC guys, but by the looks of things what Kedwards is doing should be the answer to the rest of you none iPad guys.

Hm just went back to other posts and saw the Kedwards solution works on iPad and so it does, well to a point where I would expect the pic below to blow me out on “File Size” it accepted it. Hm I wonder if in certain cases the Forum is changing automatically to what it wants as I would Expected the image below to fail. Clearly there is more going on here than I know or understand. Still so long as it works! 48AD25C2-22D3-4EDC-99B6-647A71F4A4BF.png

Last edited: