Peco yard crane

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Reading the latest edition of Railway Modeller, I saw a preview for the latest Peco O scale kit, a 2 ton capacity yard crane. It occurred to me that if you stood back and really squinted ;) this might look OK in a G scale narrow gauge goods yard. So, this morning we had a drive to the local Peco dealer (Modellers Mecca in Wall Heath) which just happens to have a really nice pub for lunch en-route :D.

Getting home, the kit only took about an hour and a half to build. All pretty basic if your used to making kits with no flash on any of the parts. If your very careful with the glue, everything can be made to work.

7f7808b643fe456f8a05d3f305ae797b.jpg

I've posed a well known LGB driver to show how it scales out - not too bad I reckon? Obviously it'll need painting next and the base will either need some weight in it or fixing down to counteract the weight of the load (you don't get the crate with the kit, it came from a very very nice man in Nottingham).

It also occurred to me that one of these attached to a wagon chassis would make a very nice bit of rolling stock. Easily done as it just slots into the base, so you'd just need to drill a hole in the wagon to house the pivot point.

I'll post some more when I've done the painting and "planted" the crane.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
very nice, and scale looks ok. What did it cost?

Si

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
hornbeam said:

Si

RRP is £17.87 Si. Modellers Mecca currently have 10% off, so I got it for £16.08, but I had the last one on their shelves.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That dosen't look to bad Mel, cranes have weight restrictions on them anyway so when that is taken into consideration it's right for light duties

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice crane and you've given me an idea for the Portable layout Mel.

As for that crate, I blame Fred....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:

Reckon you could either easily make it fit on the loading dock, or put it on a Hartland chassis mate.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Gizzy said:

Reckon you could either easily make it fit on the loading dock, or put it on a Hartland chassis mate.
I had a look for one of these in my local Model shop today. They are expected in soon, so I'll probably buy one when they come in....

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
yb281 said:
hornbeam said:

Si

RRP is £17.87 Si. Modellers Mecca currently have 10% off, so I got it for £16.08, but I had the last one on their shelves.

Dash it -- Wish I had seen this post yesterday :bleh:
A colleague at work who has a nice HO gauge model railway. pointed these out to me,

Popped in to Modelers Mecca (about 4 miles from me) to see if i could get one

Sold the last one earlier She (He) said :crying:

At least it's gone to a good home :clap:

Thanks for the pic, will be going back to MM soon

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Scale looks fine, you could make a nice little country type station loading scene with that, wouldn?t look out of place at all.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
That looks really nice, Mel.

I reckon if one wanted to give it a slightly beefier look it should be easy enough to add a bit of styrene sheet to back the framework supporting the various cogs, to look like steel plate, and add slightly heavier gauge straining wires to support the jib.

Another variation would be to add a pair of scale 3x3 ins L girders to the outside of the side supports, running rearwards, and add a counterweight box on small rollers. At least one of the 4mm yard cranes by another manufacturer has this feature.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Got the crane painted and fixed to a new extension to the loading dock in Wetton yard (still a work in progress). I changed the white thread included for some rusty coloured (it's not as red as it looks in the photo). Also had to modify the base a little to fit the location.

Here is the finished crane loading an Accucraft wagon.

27df036eb10f41379a9c63e1d87d6ad9.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like good value, especially compared to the Pola G crane at +/- £45!
:D