Peco G45 shortening

planty

Live steam, battery power
15 Jul 2011
Yorkshire
www.jasonplant.com
Best answers
Apologies if this seems a simple question or if it has been asked before (I did run a few searches and couldn't find anything).

I've got a basic large oval set up and at each end I'm using set radius curves, down the sides I'm using flexi track as the track meanders round the lawn edge. However the length doesn't perfectly fit n lengths of flexitrack, so I'm going to have to shorten a piece to fit.

So my question(s) are:
Is it possible to cut flexitrack to length or is it better to cut a fixed length track?
What is the simplest way to cut the track (preferably without having to go out and buy special track cutters)

Many thanks

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
Junior hacksaw.....take your time, and hold the rail with something...

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
New Haven Neil 2 said:
Junior hacksaw.....take your time, and hold the rail with something...

yup simples init niel. just cut 4 lengths on mine.:clap::clap::clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Don't worry too much about gaps.

In this scale, a gap of 5mm won't even be noticed ..........

Don't ask me how I know :D:D:D

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum,
Tactically its might be best to keep your set track as original, it will still fit the basic geometry later if you change your track plan
where as if you reuse the flexible elsewhere, as you curve it to fit, you will probably have to cut it anyway!!
I have used a junior hacksaw to cut (32 tpi) , or a dremel equivilent, or even in desperation a 5inch angle grinder, & cleaned it up with a fine file
but whatever you use, use whatever is within your capabilities.
I once took off a finger tip the day after giving a saftey warning from a public platform!!

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
It's interesting how much 'play' there can be in track that you think is perfectly laid.
My layout solely uses 'set track' and the other day I listed out the components and built a diagram using one of the many pieces of model railway track layout software.

Not only did it not meet up but I have apparently a 12 inch gap in my loop :)

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The hack saw tip is as good as any, however may I suggest that you use said hack saw to cut two groves into some timber say 2 x1 inch or thereabouts at the track gauge. Then press this onto the rail just to the left or right of where you about to cut (depending on whether you are left or right handed). This will help with a square cut and also hold the rail nice and firm if you press very hard whilst cutting.
JonD

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Hackaway Harry they call me when it comes to flexitrack, you should see my layout, no, maybe you shouldn't. Gaps appear so on a bend especially try not to have the gaps directly opposite each other. The rest you have been told about

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Just a word of caution with whatever method you use, be careful of the sharp ends and edges that exist before you fill off the 'rough' bits. I use the juniour hacksaw way, and have a nice little scar on the inside of my wrist where I reached pass the section of rail in the vice to get something behind it. This is with me considering myself to be extremely careful and safety concious. :D

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
GrahamMills said:
Not only did it not meet up but I have apparently a 12 inch gap in my loop :)

I'm not saying anything.:rofl: