Occasional fits of progress in Missouri

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Hey there; Decided it was finally a thing to do to join this outfit. Given my inconvenient health and upper floor apartment dwelling, which as it happens turned out fairly convenient for most other things in life, I don't have a garden railway that's actually in a garden, but there is an oval with 2ft radius curves out on the balcony!

My G-scale 'thing' is to take basic models and detail and/or modify them to suit my tastes.
(in between chasing the cats around the track)
There will be a couple weeks of progress then nothing for a year or two.

Currently having a progress binge making and adding some critical parts to the Bachmann Big Hauler 4-6-0, those parts being the brackets or braces for the crosshead guides, parts which have a very high rate of taking damage on the BH 4-6-0.
Intended to do that several years ago, made a spot of progress last year, working toward finishing the job this fall.

Some other parts are being added and some firemen are being made too.

Illustration for example:

IMG_9582 by F Scott Wood, on Flickr

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome on board Scott(?). Nice work on the Big Hauler - I looked at your Flickr feed. No layout is too small here, mine is 2x3m indoors. Looking at your oval on Flickr could you perhaps raise it off the floor, or does it have to be temporary? Not too high or there's a danger of sailing over the parapet! Just a thought.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Scott, certainly agree if you can manage a higher line it is much easier on the back though a lifting section might be required to get out to the balcony. Perspex by the parapet mounted on whatever boards you have would help stop trains doing a yehaa off the balcony and not effect views over much.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Hey there; Scott works, I'll answer to that sound. :) Having track on balcony floor leaves balcony usable for other activities such as putting up the folding table for eating outside or for doing some spray painting. Also there are then no legs for the 2 cats to tangle their leashes around: yes, they go on the balcony on leashes since they can get, let's say, adventurous.

And as it happens, Bachmann Big Haulers drive over cat leashes just fine, Georgie & the Glenbrook Valley 4-6-0 in 2016,
on the tinplate rails in the set boxes, they had to be brought in during rain. Regular all weather track is out there now.

25677790440_8466cd9f95_z.jpg

25883389451_677aea115f_z.jpg

25952445686_f2dd5d223b_z.jpg

Last edited:

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
manage a higher line it is much easier on the back though a lifting section might be required to get out to the balcony
And I do have back problems which can lead to trips to the ER, so, yes, it would be. 2 things though; the lift section at our little farm burg's HO model train club causes me trouble, & as you suspected, temporary is mandatory per the lease.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
manage a higher line it is much easier on the back though a lifting section might be required to get out to the balcony
And I do have back problems which can lead to trips to the ER, so, yes, it would be. 2 things though; the lift section at our little farm burg's HO model train club causes me trouble, & as idlemarvel suspected, temporary is mandatory per the lease.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Scott!

Cats and trains, what's not to like?

PhilP.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Cats and trains, what's not to like?
I miss the Chessie System.
Have HO scale stuff for that.
No, neither cat is named Chessie.

Huh, what did I do in editing a post which seems to have posted a new post as the edited version?

Oh well.

Now, some progress photos from the Virginia and Truckee Big Hauler.
I am feeling good and am enjoying making progress yesterday and today.

The year I bought it, 2009, Bachmann had the cars in yellow which was generally correct for the 1900s to 19-teens era the real V&T 26 was built in - but they had 26 as a wood burner and in a fanciful 1800s paint job complete with over the top lining and scrollwork on the smokestack.
(that stack desperately needs rivets)

I decided to keep the locomotive's 1800s paint and repaint the passenger cars to an earlier red hue.

Bachmann did it a little wrong, so, why not pick up the ball, run with it, and make it really wrong!
:laughing:

Removed the locomotive's electric generator & the extended smokebox which on the real deal would have housed a cinder catching arrangement.

Carved off the molded on sand pipes before repainting boiler a decade ago & am finally getting around to adding freestanding ones of 3/32 brass tubing.
Most all the several Big Haulers are getting that as time goes on.

Other things being done can be seen in following photos,

51649972541_3286d3b40c_z.jpg

51649145727_b9b59314da_c.jpg

51649972456_79fa06e421_c.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Scott. You seem to have it all sorted out. Is there a garden railway club of group near you? They usually welcome new members

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Is there a garden railway club of group near you?
Thanks!
No nearby garden railway club that I know of after having lived in this little county seat farm burg for about a decade and a half now.
Used to know 2 people who did G scale and had garden railways but they have retired and left the area.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Scott. Cat and railway photos always welcome. You'll enjoy yourself on this forum.
Trevor
IMG_20210701_143531_kindlephoto-814779.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Scott....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Scott. Yes, cats are very welcomed here.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! Well, Y'all, think it is time to make a permanent post in the steam locomotives (electric models) topic about doing these details.