Not sure if this should be DCC or battery, as it’s both.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have a loco that was track powered with a Zimo DCC control and sound chip. I’ve converted it to AirWire battery power. So still DCC, but power obviously comes from a cell, rather than the track. However, I digress. This behavior happened when it was track power, and it continues now.
That is.... start the thing up and the engine sound of cranking starts (it’s a diesel mechanical), then the motor sounds runs and reacts to changes in speed, direction etc, just as it should. Then after about 10 minutes the sound switches off. All the other control inputs work, just no sound. The only way to restore the sound is to switch the loco off and then restart it. I’ve looked at the manual - honestly - and can’t see anything that would make this happen.
Any ideas anyone?
Many thanks in advance.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
This is a real stab in the dark. Does the decoder's audio output have it's own trip? Does the speaker impedance match what is specified for the decoder? Too low speaker impedance would draw too much current maybe causing the audio to shutdown. Just a guess.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is a real stab in the dark. Does the decoder's audio output have it's own trip? Does the speaker impedance match what is specified for the decoder? Too low speaker impedance would draw too much current maybe causing the audio to shutdown. Just a guess.
Good thought Phil. I’ll try and check that out. Many thanks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So far as I can see most of the speakers we should be using for DCC Sound are 8ohms and 0.3-0.5 watt. I wonder of anything higher than those values could be an issue?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Has it always done it, or did it start just before you changed to battery power?

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Has it always done it, or did it start just before you changed to battery power?
Always done it, form what I recall.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
So do you know what sound file is in it? (listed on Zimo site)

Do you have the function command list for the sound file?

Did you try cycling F8?

Greg
I’ll have to check all that out Greg.