Not G scale related but your thoughts would be appreciated please. Thank you

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
My 50+ year old Nephew has suffered from epileptic seizures all his life. It has meant he has missed out on schooling etc.

He is not into railways but has lots of Star War toys. I am considering buying him a set of walkie-talkies Buy Star Wars Walkie Talkies | Kids telephones and walkie talkies | Argos

It would be better if I also gave him rechargeable batteries; unfortunately 6 are required.

Which inexpensive charger might be suitable please. I don't want to spend more on the batteries and charger than the walkie-talkie if possible.

I appreciate this is not G scale nor even railway related but members comments would be interesting.

Thanks.

Sarah Winfield

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah,

There are a number of cheap chargers around which plug directly into a wall socket and take 4 or sometimes 6 of the batteries after removal from the using device. They are usually branded for a battery manufacturer, eg Eveready, and cost about $15 here in supermarkets and cheap shops, so you should be able to get one for 10 quid or so. He would probably have to have more than one set of batteries - but I did it that way in my early days of battery when I was limited to a small IP loco.

Steve

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah, most of the big supermarkets sell battery chargers and rechargeable batteries at a reasonable price.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
B&M's or Pound Stretcher.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah, with all of these things "you pay your money and make your choice", cheap may not always be best value, but the obverse is also true the most expensive may not be best quality. So I would be looking for inexpensive branded products, or personal recommendations. Google search can turn up some very good bargains if you have time.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My 50+ year old Nephew has suffered from epileptic seizures all his life. It has meant he has missed out on schooling etc.

He is not into railways but has lots of Star War toys. I am considering buying him a set of walkie-talkies Buy Star Wars Walkie Talkies | Kids telephones and walkie talkies | Argos

It would be better if I also gave him rechargeable batteries; unfortunately 6 are required.

Which inexpensive charger might be suitable please. I don't want to spend more on the batteries and charger than the walkie-talkie if possible.

I appreciate this is not G scale nor even railway related but members comments would be interesting.

Thanks.

Sarah Winfield
Much the same answer as for your Playmobil loco - make sure you have an intelligent charger that indicates when the batteries are charged - that way you will get the most life out of the batteries, and thus the best use / play experience with the equipment :nod::nod::nod:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see you back on the forum Sarah

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brought an 'Intelligent' charger and batteries from Lidl near sunny Hunny this weekend.

The batteries will be used in the Playmobil diesel and the Piko Track Cleaner locos....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Brought an 'Intelligent' charger and batteries from Lidl near sunny Hunny this weekend.

The batteries will be used in the Playmobil diesel and the Piko Track Cleaner locos....

I also purchased a charger and batteries from Lidl a few years ago. Still giving good service.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I also purchased a charger and batteries from Lidl a few years ago. Still giving good service.
I did the same, trouble for Sarah is thatbthey are not available all the time. Just luckmif they are there when you want some. Aldi may be another place to look.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Perry and all those who replied. I had seen this item and as you say it would do the job fine. However the write ups for the Batman Walkie Talkies themselves isn't very good so I have opted for a more professional set which have battery chargers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Talkies-2-...qid=1542473729&sr=1-5&keywords=Walkie+Talkies

Not quite so gimmicky but should give him lots of pleasure and fun.

SW

Reactions: 1 user

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Hello every body.

Thank you for your messages. Things have been rather bad lately. Due to a determination to go swimming in the sea during the hot weather I fell over and damaged the nerves in my legs and now suffer from "Supraspinatus Tendonitis" in my shoulders. I'm on quite strong painkillers.

As for my nephew, he suffered a relapse in his general health and is currently in hospital recovering from Sepsis of his kidney's and also a few small stones. It is hoped he will be home for Christmas. I bought him the slightly less toy-like walkie-talkie and hope he will be able to use and enjoy it.

My railway is covered where most of the turn-outs are so I haven't enjoyed it at all.

In case I don't post on the site again before the festive break I wish everybody Good Luck for 2019.

Sarah Winfield

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I looked up Supraspinatus Tendonitis, and sometimes massage will help it a lot, an interesting muscle that can cause a lot of pain.

Hope you get better soon, and your nephew gets his situation resolved.

Regards, Greg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hello every body.

Thank you for your messages. Things have been rather bad lately. Due to a determination to go swimming in the sea during the hot weather I fell over and damaged the nerves in my legs and now suffer from "Supraspinatus Tendonitis" in my shoulders. I'm on quite strong painkillers.

As for my nephew, he suffered a relapse in his general health and is currently in hospital recovering from Sepsis of his kidney's and also a few small stones. It is hoped he will be home for Christmas. I bought him the slightly less toy-like walkie-talkie and hope he will be able to use and enjoy it.

My railway is covered where most of the turn-outs are so I haven't enjoyed it at all.

In case I don't post on the site again before the festive break I wish everybody Good Luck for 2019.

Sarah Winfield

Best wishes to you as well Sarah!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
All good wishes to you, Sarah, for hristmas and 2019.

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hope both of you recover as quickly as possible. All the best for both Christmas and the New Year.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
All the best Sarah, keep on playing trains when you are able. Greatbtherapy.