Nikki & Frank - A Tender Parting!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Provided both decoders have similar CVs, before adjusting the them I would personally remove both motors and test them out of the loco and tender. One may well be contaminated with lubricant and taking more current than the other. Only if both motors are in good condition and fairly well matched would I consider adjusting the CVs.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have read several reports on these locos that the tender is faster than the loco - but only slightly. Neils idea sounds good to me.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
You will find that one unit is slightly faster than the other!
The fact that there is only 1 traction tyre doesnt help either!

When I have set up these locos and other dual powered locos with 2 decoders I have found tat a bit of trial & error with the start volts, acceleration & deceleration CVs (#2,#3 & #4) is nescessary,

Also the addition of a traction tyred wheelset to the tender improves things greatly, especially in the haulage dept

Hope this help

But I thought you were doin STD Gauge!!:happy:

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Has it got Massoth chips?

Mine is fitted with them and if they are not connected one or the other sometimes misses the slow speed comand and ends up doing what yours is doing!

Try pressing F8 and see if the speed changes

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Just checked mine again and it has a cable from the loco with a plug on it and a socket on the tender. it is only for power transfer as both loco and tender have seperate chips.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nice little vid Paul - how many decoders in that then please?
I am thinking of putting one XLS in mine.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one 55.5, well done.
Thanks Paul. I did realise I might need 6 wires unless I run the front light from track power with a diode for direction. Can't turn them off though.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Allen: Have you chipped your Nikki& Frank's using the MAssoth XLS? I am trying to decide whether to go the one-decoder or the 2-decoder route.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
While others have gone the single decoder route on this locomotive, I would not advise to do so.

My green 'Frankie' came with two type 1, #55020, decoders. These are not the most sophisticated nor competent at fine motor control, but I found that to maintain basically similar speeds, I needed a higher CV2 on the loco than on the tender drive. CV2 is the start voltage at speed step 1. The locomotive, due its rather complex circuit board, has a higher start voltage requirement than the basic, almost non-existent decoder interface circuit board in the tender. I was able to get matched speeds with CV2 programming.

After much playing around setting things up, I gutted the loco and will fit a Massoth 'LS' to the loco and an 'L' to the tender. The two type 1 decoders are now seeing service in a #20761 Spremberg and as a direct decoder on a LGB 'shorty' sound board.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Tim:
The LS and the L have different response and driving characteristics and they may not synch well even with extensive tweaking of the driving curve. If I were to go the 2-decoder route, I would use either 2 L decoders and an S via a SUSI interface, or 2 LS decoders. I have not played much with the SUSI interface, and this would give an opportunity to do so.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mohammed,
many thanks. I would have thought that the 'L' and 'LS' had similar driving characteristics as LGB made so many two motor steam locomotives (tender drive). Will need to follow through with your suggestions.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes. I did it and with a small compromise it works great.
The Massoth decoder is in the tender. Loads of room for the speaker. The rear lights are wired to the decoder as usual.
The four wire connector has been retained. Two wires share track power so all wheels feed the decoder. two wires supply power to the loco motor (direct from the wiring to the tender motor).
I disconnected the loco circuit board from the track pickups and connected them to the motor feed from the decoder. This deals with the 5 volt smoke unit and the 5 V front lights (but only when the loco is moving- which is the compromise).
Runs great and I am very happy with it. It must have done 100 hours plus by now.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh Yus!:clap::D