newbie seeking LGB MTS3 help

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Sir

There are loads of people on here who will be able to help you below is a link to many on the instruction manuals hope its of some help.

http://lgb.vanelten.nl/Database/

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi rkv,

Welcome to GSC.

The instructions for the locomotives will confirm what function commands do what for that loco.

I think LGB did standadise the common functions, I think that the loco remote (55016) has specific symbols above the number keys that represent the possible common functions.

May I inquire what locos you refer to....we (someone) could check to see what does what.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Hi & Welcome

Digital at first use is always a bit of a Minefield!, My advice if it is practical is to set up a small section of track ( a circle of R1 perhaps) and connect up the MTS equipment and experiment with the system, at the same time gaining info from the instruction manuals you have, (as Muns said the function commands ar included in the LOCO instructions)

The thing is with digital unless you connect up the sytem incorrectly which is highly unlikley you can never do much damage,
But it is a learning curve that rapidly becomes easier.

I started with DCC around 12 years ago, and after the first few minutes was quite frustrated and almost giving it up, however once i had set up a test track, it all became clearer and I spent a rewarding couple of days just 'playing' with digital on the test track.

There is a lot to learn & take in, but it is very rewarding,

I am currently building an N Gauge layout ( A scale I have dabbled in for many years on & Off) initially I decoded to remIN ANALOGUE with it but as the track laying progressed, I realised that I was giving myself more work than was nescessary, so I changed my mind and bought a DCC system aND NOW ITS DIGITAL!

(PS Not Given up the G scale though!!:clap:)

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
Hi, I too converted to MTS recently (same as your equipment) and perhaps offer you some of the answers to my findings....

Certainly once converted to digital (using decoder 55021 or the cheaper Massoth 8154001) I found that Keypad #1 operated the smoke for the chimney for my Stainz locos. As it is digital, this you can operate whilst stationary.

As for parallel v serial operation, and I stand to be corrected, parallel sends packets of data in one go whereas serial sends as the name suggests, a series of data pulses which for whatever reason can sometimes not be complete rendering the action incomplete.

Sadly the documents you get with the units are the only ones I could find too, but as Steve says, provided that the units are connected correctly, no damage will occur.

Testing on a short piece or a circle indoors is a good idea to check all is well and to familiarise yourself with the handset functions.

I'm just waiting for the snow to clear now to run my newly converted locos!

Good luck

Rick

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
rkv said:
Steve said:

Thanks.

The link with pdf files is a nice resource. I found the long gone manuals for my locomotives. Although, in my case the decoder was added by LGB USA during a year I spent there so it's not covered in the original manuals.

As others have suggested I am successfully testing with a test loop.

Also on my 55016p the only icon's are for lights, loco #, and direction. There are no icons for bell, whistle or smoke. It's good to know that random key sequences can't hurt so I'll play with it.

Is the "F" key used for anything other than configuring.

Even though I would like to have more documentation, it does seem a lot easier for both setup and operation than what I had been doing with my analogue setup to operate multiple locomotives. I should have done this a lot sooner.

I must be getting confused with the Universal remote (55015) that has the function symbols, sorry.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Re the function keys,
Different manufacturers decoders dont always assign the same function number to the functions, So for example an LGB Decoder uses F8 to switch sound ON/OFF, whereas I have had Massoth decoders where F6 did the same thing
So for that reason it is nescessary to refer to the decoder's ( or loco's instructions if decoder is factory fitted)
to asertain what does what!

it is possible to re-assign the functions to different keys, although in practice I do not find it nesecessary, just a case of remebering what F does what in each loco.

(As you are probably aware LGB's electronics are made for them by Massoth,)