New transformer to power my track (Lionel GP Diesel with Rail Sounds)?

tturkstra

Registered
6 Dec 2013
Canada
Best answers
I have a medium sized indoor track (~200') and I'm trying to go from running 2 trains at once to 3, but it keeps tripping my transformer. (Please ignore the questions of my mental integrity as I run around the room trying to keep the trains switching to avoid collisions.)

I run a (1989?) Lionel Large Scale GP since it's one of the few larger engines that will turn 4' turns and I love the rail sounds. However, when I add a 3rd train (others are small Aristo, LGB locos), the current draw (3.3 A) trips my TrainPower 6200 transformer after a few minutes. Unfortunately, the "60 VA" rating is only good for 35 VA for Trains and about 25 VA for 18 V AC accessories. (Using my volt and amp meter, the transformer overheats at about 30 VA.) So I need a bigger transformer/power supply.

Anyway, the guy who sold me the the Lionel locomotive warned me that I have to be careful, as some transformers (switching?, pulse width modulating) would damage the railsounds unit in the loco (and I LOVE the railsounds) so I've always used that old Trainpower unit as I'm sure there will be no repairs of that old loco if something breaks.

So, can anyone recommend a transformer that's good for about 60 watts (VA) of actual track power that they know is compatible with this old Loco, or has very steady (non-switched) voltage? It would be great if it could also power up to 20 volts and drive my LGB ICE train.

I hope my question makes sense, Thanks, Tim

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Lateral thinking..

Use your existing transformer for the trains, and get a 18V AC transformer for the accessories.. Then you should have no problem pulling the 'VA' you need fro the trains, as you have reduced the load on your existing transformer.
An AC transformer will be a cheaper option as well.
:D

tturkstra

Registered
6 Dec 2013
Canada
Best answers
Sorry, should have said that I am already using another transformer for accessories. The GP draws about 1.5 A and the other locos about 1/2 A each. At only 12 V and 2.5 A, that's 36 VA, which is all the track power portion is rated for. Even when I keep it to 11 V and 2.5 A (28 VA), it still trips. I need something that can supply about 3 A up to 18 V (I know the GP is only rated to 15 V, so I keep it below 15 when it's running), so 60 VA to the track.

Any suggestions for a steady voltage transformer/ power supply good for 60 VA?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Gaugemaster 10LGB comes to mind..
See them quite often on evilBay. About £50 seems to be the going rate. New they are £100 in round figures. Output 0-20V 2.5A 50VA

There are bigger units, but they come up less often, and can go for silly money.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
With respect to Tony I suspect his kind offer may be unsuitable.
I believe you are in Canada and I'm pretty sure that the Gaugemaster units are only suitable for U.K. and European voltages.

If you can obtain a 100 ish VA transformer to step your mains voltage down to anything around 18V you may consider wiring it to one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LM338K-High-Power-Adjustable-power-supply-In-3-36V-Out-1-2-30V-5A-Converter-/251327909758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a844f8f7e

EDIT, just noticed, in the text it states 3A and apologizes for the misleading error in the title!
or these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM338K-Adjustable-DC-1-25-28v-5A-Power-board-Converter-with-Digital-led-voltage-/190898613297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7271ac31

either unit will convert the ac from the transformer to variable linear dc for the trains.

You'd need to connect to the track via a DPDT switch to reverse direction when required.

tturkstra

Registered
6 Dec 2013
Canada
Best answers
Thanks for the help. Yep, I'm on the other side of the pond, in Canada, so I need 110 VAC input. Not sure I want to make my own supply and I already have too many DPDT switches, so I want a power supply with directional switching already built in. I'm now realizing most of you are outside North America? Should I be trying another forum for North American questions?

This looks promising, if a bit pricy:
Anyone know what "Blue" power is and if it is clean enough for my Lionel GP Loco?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151181373883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
(I'm not that crazy about the remote cord, but whatever. The other thing I like is an emergency stop button.)

Or does anyone know if my Trainpower 6200 is a Pulse Width modulated switching power supply already, so my Lionel GP loco actually can tolerate this kind of DC voltage? I think I used it with my LGB 50081 Transformer as well and it worked OK. The loco works fine now, and only trips the Trainpower 6200 when I add the other locos.

Thanks, Tim

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag