New to G scale

tgood

Registered
12 Mar 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone,
Just this winter started on my garden railroad. Have a basic track plan and when the weather gets nice will move to the back yard/garden.
FYI: I have been experimenting with e-cig smokers for my g scale engines and have met with some success. Will keep everyone up to date but I must first learn how to post pictures and videos.
tgood

Reactions: 1 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. Tons of cool info and stuff here. I'm about a year into my railroad and this forum has been a great tool for helping me along. Plus lots of super friendly people with loads of experience...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC!

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the madness

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, but what have e-cig smokers done to deserve being experimented on?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, but what have e-cig smokers done to deserve being experimented on?

The Beagles are getting their own back! :nod::rock:

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
YAY!!!! Welcome indeed! Not in the PNW, are ya?

tac
Port Orford Coast RR - Eastern Sub

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome aboard.

tgood

Registered
12 Mar 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Jack
Since I am new to garden railroading I started out with what I knew best. As a past model builder R/C planes I opted to purchase TOY trains and Bash them. I purchased a ton of rolling stock made by New Bright and proceeded to tear them apart and redo then to look more realistic. I added Brachmann knuckle couplers and did away with the hook and loop. I purchased two R/C Brachmann big haulers and in the process of bashing them also. Purchased 2 Lionel R/C engines and doing same. Got 2 Scienctific engines one already bashed. Combined a New Bright and Scienctific engines into a 0-6-0 switcher with a tag along coal tender that looks like a modified ore car. I have 2 New Bright engines that I will convert to R/C later but will keep the look original except for paint. These will be added to a modified box car and caboose along with 3 1880's coaches. These will be my scenic railway excursion train and as such won't do much to change them. I plan on building a main line out of LGB Brass track and two short lines using plastic New Bright track. All engines will be battery powered so there will be no issues with different power to different engines. Will also eliminate reverse loop problems. All engines will eventually have their own R/C control with a train dispatcher controlling the main line. To move from the unconnected short line you will have to use the main line but have to seek permission as the main line will be running freight to a from the short lines sidings.
As I get more experienced and budget allows I will add G scale diesels from the g scale manufactures. Boy are they expensive. But hey I can convert them to Battery and transfer the R/C components to them as needed.
All Aboard
tgood

Reactions: 2 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds awesome. Looking forward to following your progress..

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tgood - welcome. I sent you a message yesterday. If you haven't already seen it look at the banner heading - right-hand side (magnifyer, bell, and odd looking envelope). There should be a red background number at the side of the envelope symbol - just click on it to reveal the "conversation".

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Jack
Since I am new to garden railroading I started out with what I knew best. As a past model builder R/C planes I opted to purchase TOY trains and Bash them. I purchased a ton of rolling stock made by New Bright and proceeded to tear them apart and redo then to look more realistic. I added Brachmann knuckle couplers and did away with the hook and loop. I purchased two R/C Brachmann big haulers and in the process of bashing them also. Purchased 2 Lionel R/C engines and doing same. Got 2 Scienctific engines one already bashed. Combined a New Bright and Scienctific engines into a 0-6-0 switcher with a tag along coal tender that looks like a modified ore car. I have 2 New Bright engines that I will convert to R/C later but will keep the look original except for paint. These will be added to a modified box car and caboose along with 3 1880's coaches. These will be my scenic railway excursion train and as such won't do much to change them. I plan on building a main line out of LGB Brass track and two short lines using plastic New Bright track. All engines will be battery powered so there will be no issues with different power to different engines. Will also eliminate reverse loop problems. All engines will eventually have their own R/C control with a train dispatcher controlling the main line. To move from the unconnected short line you will have to use the main line but have to seek permission as the main line will be running freight to a from the short lines sidings.
As I get more experienced and budget allows I will add G scale diesels from the g scale manufactures. Boy are they expensive. But hey I can convert them to Battery and transfer the R/C components to them as needed.
All Aboard
tgood
Welcome Tgood.

Good to hear that you have decided to abandon Track Power before you have even started using it. I am trying to head that way but a lot of nice DCC Sound Locomotives that are going to need expensive and not readily available in UK Kit. But I have done a few Scratch and LGB items using Fosworks Battery Controllers and MyLocoSound units.

Also pleased to see that you are planning to Operate in the correct US way, a few are into Operations over here but the majority appear to be in the sipping a wine/beer/gin mode and watching a Train trundle round. Nothing wrong with that but not my scene really.

If you click on the links by my signature you will see the build of my line part of which explains my operations. The other link is a trip around my line.

Good luck with your line and be nice to see some more pics of what you have been up to.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum....