New Product: LGB Saxon Rollwagen 49180

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
LGB have posted engineering samples and drawings of a Saxon rollwagen (Cat. No: 49180) on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LGB/

It appears they will be sold as a two-car set for 339.99 Euro. No production or delivery date yet. The rollwagen is designed to carry 45mm gauge rolling stock and is lettered for Ep. 3 DR.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I must be getting old as I don't fully understand this. My interpretation is they are 45mm gauge transporter wagons to carry 45mm gauge rolling stock. Am I missing something here?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
It must for marketing reasons as LGB don't sell 64mm stock which would be more appropriate. I'll stick to the Zenner models. :)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the pictures they are wider than 45mm . The 45mm wheel sets are inside the main carrying beams - so my guess is 64mm. Look at the picture showing the bogie wheels sets under the unprototypical axle rests.
Great item though - I wonder what UK price they will end up at. Many dealers seem to split these multi packs (assuming they are boxed individually)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Reading it further - the 'unprotytypical' axle rests are the ADAPTER to hold 45mm wagons - so it looks like the side beams will in fact be 64mm

Also, note in the pictures the Saxon style coupling in place of the central buffer. maybe this is from the forthcoming VI K loco. It should be dirty silver not red, but that's an easy one.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is it me? Or is the wagon in the rear of the shot different to that in front??

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It is a bit different isn't it. Probably just pre production mock ups. The decals are omitted as well.

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
Reading it further - the 'unprotytypical' axle rests are the ADAPTER to hold 45mm wagons - so it looks like the side beams will in fact be 64mm

Also, note in the pictures the Saxon style coupling in place of the central buffer. maybe this is from the forthcoming VI K loco. It should be dirty silver not red, but that's an easy one.

That second set of posted images makes a lot more sense than the first - especially the adapter plate for 45mm gauge wagons. The coupler bar also seems like a neat solution.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some of the newest LGB rolling stock, especially that for the RhB, is of an uncommonly high standard of detail. I was looking at a couple of them at Glendale Junction a while back and bethought me that they had actually been made by Kiss.

Enough [almost] to re-awaken my jonesing for the RhB. But not quite.

tac

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with you Tac. The newest locos also show some very fine detail - the Franzberg being one.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Better write my letter to Santa, but which years Christmas?

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with you Tac. The newest locos also show some very fine detail - the Franzberg being one.
That is because finally the gear is being made by a model company and not a toy train company. Don't get me wrong they all got us started but the time was and still is to move on from the "R1" mentality. A lot of the products coming out now are of a quality to call models. I got the U Class lok and am so happy with it, the weathering and the sound unit are superb.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But are they going too far from a 'ruggedised' model for outdoor use?

Think the Rhatia..
The handrails were ridiculously flimsy if you picked it up over the tanks..

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
But are they going too far from a 'ruggedised' model for outdoor use?

Think the Rhatia..
The handrails were ridiculously flimsy if you picked it up over the tanks..

Sorry, but don't quite understand what you are trying to say. I've got the original Heidi and, as you say for Rhatia, the handrails are plastic and my ones are a real mess.

I've recently purchased the latest incarnation of Rhatia and the handrails are made of metal and look fantastic.

Which are you saying the handrails should be..... plastic or metal?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, but don't quite understand what you are trying to say. I've got the original Heidi and, as you say for Rhatia, the handrails are plastic and my ones are a real mess.

I've recently purchased the latest incarnation of Rhatia and the handrails are made of metal and look fantastic.

They should be metal..

Thinking about it, the Rhatia set was (I think) before Marklin took over??

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I see Grootspoor are listing these at 306 Euro - makes a difference, and the exchange rate at the moment is a little better.
About £270 for two - not exactly cheap but looking better..

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag

Ken. There is a shop in Bloemedaal, Holland. If you contact him he will make metal handrails for Heidi on site. He does a reall good job and quickly. They cost something like 12 euros.