New member saying hello

Thomas Lambo

RC, wood craftsmanship & culinary arts
7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Hello

My name is Boyd, I live in Southern California (about 20 minutes from the Pasadena Rose Bowl).

After being away from the hobby (HO home layout) for quite some time, I’m now planning on building a Garden Railroad and hope to start construction in the next month or so.

Every year I drool over the Garden Railroad at the Pomona Fair grounds…a constant source of motivation.

I’m planning on going with a DCC system as my primary power source….I love technology as I spent 35 years in IT. I just need to settle on a platform.

Other hobbies are RC airplanes/boats, model wooden ships, reading, and cooking.

Thanks, and I’m looking forward to getting some sage advice from GSC members.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Boyd!

See you have probably been 'lurking' for a short while?
You'll soon get the hang of it.

PhilP

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Boyd!

Jon.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Boyd. You'll find the DCC transition easy, you just have to get used to higher amps and more than likely different decoder and command station manufacturers than you are used to with HO. I switched from OO to G a few years ago with no regrets, happy to pass on my experience. And you have the weather for outdoor model rail in SoCal, unlike here in UK. Cheers, Dave

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Boyd.

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Boyd, welcome to the forum and the fascinating world of garden railways. You will find that we are an eclectic bunch with wide ranging interests and areas of expertise, so there will always be somebody who will know the answer, or where to find it, to any questions you may have; you'll also get a fair bit of banter! :)

Thomas Lambo

RC, wood craftsmanship & culinary arts
7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Hi Dan,

I saw your comment about G Scale Graphics and their RailBoss 4 product. Having invested a small fortune on RC technology I'm obviously intrigued with the concept of battery power.

That Cat I'm holding in my avatar picture hit over 120 MPH (NAMBA SAW competition) using 8 cell Lipo power.

I probably should have said "leaning heavily toward DCC" power.

Thanks for the heads up.....I'll be having a conversation with the folks at G Scale Graphics as well as AirWire come Monday :)

Last edited: