New member from Australia

11 Oct 2017
Australia
Best answers
Gday all,
I have heard great things regarding this site and thought it was time to join.

I have recently (3 months) moved from Melbourne up to a small township near Cobram.
I am still planning my layout and am about to start clearing the site.
Will be fun for sure, so watch out for some not too dumb questions (I hope).

Bernie

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
G'day! Questions of all kinds are welcome, dumb or not, and anyway questions are rarely dumb, the people who don't know but don't ask are the dumb ones. :)

Had to look up where Cobram was, looks like a nice town. Have fun. Cheers, Dave

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Bernie....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Bernie.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Bernie - as you're probably aware we have a fair sized contingent of members from places Down Under, I'm sure several of them will be along when the time zone catches up with them!

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
upload_2017-10-11_18-31-7.png

Reactions: 6 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with your new venture, as Idlemarvel says, any questions will be answered here, dumb or otherwise. There's an awful lot of expertise on this forum, and any advice is freely given.

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome aboard, Bernie.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Berni,
WELCOME

For those of us on the right side of the equator we have a better understanding of what is up and what is down. Welcome from downunder. There are quite a few distinguished fellow countrymen here.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
And welcome from a South Aussie. I am aware of several garden railway enthusiasts in your part of the world and could put you in touch if you wish.

Are you going to go for analogue track power (cheap but hard to run multiple trains) or DCC track power (not cheap especially with sound) or battery radio control (not cheap but more flexible and avoids constant track cleaning)?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Alan B

3D printer/maker trains motor bikes BMW
6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Berni good to see another Aussie the more of us there is the more the world falls back into balance Looking forward to seeing pics of your railway I also am about to start building mine, I hope !!!>:)>:)

11 Oct 2017
Australia
Best answers
First up, thanks to all those welcomes. Even the upside down one!

I have been away for a week, did a quick 6625km round trip to Merredin in Western Australia.
Family funeral and the usual catchup with the relos.

Merredin, a once great railway hub, sees very few trains these days. Narrow gauge seems to be dead, but quite a bit of
standard gauge through town. Really great rail museum, and a very good military musuem.

On our return trip we stopped at Peterborough. Again, another once great rail hub. At one time it had broad, standard and narrow gauges.
Now just standard gauge, and that only on a single main line with passing loop.

My plans for a layout at home maybe put on the slow burner.
A local lawn bowls club is no longer using the greens. A possible avenue for a rail based tourist attraction? Who knows, will investigate.

For moonraker, I am analogue at this time but who knows. Yes would love to meet/contact others in this region, so please fire away.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome

chasaitch

chasaitch
17 Feb 2016
Banburyshire OX155LF
Best answers
Country flag
As Idlemarvel says there are no dumb questions but there can be a lot of dumb answers, usually when we get a little off piste. There are some really clever people on this site who have been there and done that and are more than willing to share their knowlege. One bit of advice I can impart is radius your curves as big as possible.