Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I have just received the new U Class loco masterpiece from our local supplier. What a wonderful model- and it is really a model this time- not just a toy train. the Loco has come fitted with a decoder and sound unit and is fully weathered. The rods are not the usual shiny but a dull gunmetal colour as are the whistle and headlight surrounds. I am now looking forward to the next rendition of new Austrian rolling stock that they have said they are producing. Highly recommended to prospective purchasers!

Reactions: 1 user

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag
I have just received the new U Class loco masterpiece from our local supplier. What a wonderful model- and it is really a model this time- not just a toy train. the Loco has come fitted with a decoder and sound unit and is fully weathered. The rods are not the usual shiny but a dull gunmetal colour as are the whistle and headlight surrounds. I am now looking forward to the next rendition of new Austrian rolling stock that they have said they are producing. Highly recommended to prospective purchasers!
Yep, I have one too. Nice loco with good sound as well.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, good isn't it.
The recent releases all seem to be uping the game somewhat. The detail is improving noticeably and the dulling down of valve gear and lens bezels is far better.
The recent Franzberg loco is a very fine model, in detail and colouring. The Bling of old has disappeared.

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I was quite impressed with the sound. The quality has definitely increased. Well done to the LGB/ Marklin crew! I am interested to see if they just renumber the old stock or produce a new Austrian model. Would love to see a bogie coach with the guards baggage section on it. In green that would just make my day...... :)

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Sounds exciting...pictures...video :) ...please :)

Reactions: 1 user

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Here you go John. The new one compared to the old one. Huge difference.298.25.JPG 298.56.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Here you go John. The new one compared to the old one. Huge difference.View attachment 213416 View attachment 213417

Wow! That is a truly lovely model now.

I have 1978 one which has 'been around the world' mileage wise, has had several new gears and motors and will eventually receive a first set of replacement wheels that I have had in stock for a while!

Mine has metal rods, lot of brass plating and as you say, the new one really makes mine look like a toy, (not that I am complaining, as I have always liked the charm of toylike models)!

The thing that struck me about the new version of the loco is the adding of a skate. I presume that this was added some time ago? I wonder why, as with the eight wheel pick up I never had any issues at all with mine, even though my plating has all just about gone, it still works really well?

James

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag

I have 1978 one which has 'been around the world' mileage wise, has had several new gears and motors and will eventually receive a first set of replacement wheels that I have had in stock for a while!

Mine has metal rods, lot of brass plating and as you say, the new one really makes mine look like a toy, (not that I am complaining, as I have always liked the charm of toylike models)!

The thing that struck me about the new version of the loco is the adding of a skate. I presume that this was added some time ago? I wonder why, as with the eight wheel pick up I never had any issues at all with mine, even though my plating has all just about gone, it still works really well?

James
Hi James,

I have one of the old ones as well and it goes fine. As far as I can see the skate just gives us another extra power connection for crossing plastic point frogs etc., plus it is good for cleaning tarnish off the track at times. :) I will certainly be looking at doing some weathering to my other ones in various forms.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
cracking review grommet

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

James
And, the skate has been placed in the least obtrusive position. Marklin have thought about it.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

James
Could be that the old Chassis is somewhat worn by now giving some sort of Compensation effect, thus ensuring that all wheels touch the Track at all times. Back in my 0 Gauge days I had problems running small 0-4-0's under Exhibition Conditions. After rebuilding with 3 Point Compensation running problems dissapeared.
JonD

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Could be that the old Chassis is somewhat worn by now giving some sort of Compensation effect, thus ensuring that all wheels touch the Track at all times. Back in my 0 Gauge days I had problems running small 0-4-0's under Exhibition Conditions. After rebuilding with 3 Point Compensation running problems dissapeared.
JonD

Jon,

Do you mean by wearing enough for the axles to 'drop' a little when required?

I guess the tolerances are not wnat they were 38 years ago, but they are still pretty good. I appreciate that I am still living in the dark ages with the kind of technology that LGB produce now, but I don't think that they have even created a compensated/sprung type loco chassis?

James

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,
Do you mean by wearing enough for the axles to 'drop' a little when required?
James
Exactly that James, some of the older Locs will have done many miles by now so a little slop in the Chassis Bearings is to be expected.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Marklin have thought about it.
i think you will find that the skate has been in that position a lot longer than Marklin have been involved.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
yup
tolleyyellowrhborangegreyziller005.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Does your new 25702 have 4 exhausts per rotation? Seems i saw this on you tube. If so, indeed a new era.

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Does your new 25702 have 4 exhausts per rotation? Seems i saw this on you tube. If so, indeed a new era.
I don't know. It is winter here and while I have been able to reprogram some bits I haven't given it a decent run to check that.

Trainman58

23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve. I have finally had a day nice enough to give the loco a bit of a run. It has four beats to the revolution. I have tried the various cv's and must admit the placement of them is a bit odd. Not the same as standard cv placements. Very happy with the loco. The sound is very crisp and clear and like Loksound decoder's when you button off on the throttle the chuffing backs off. A worthy purchase.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Great! Thank you for the info. Very enticing.