New Jackson's Miniatures building kits

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a heads up for GSC members of two new kits that will be appearing in the magazines shortly. I've been asked at successive Exeter Garden Railway shows about kits of the backs of terraced houses that you'd see along a railway line. So here it is. For those who would like a terrace of fronts, we've produced a house front kit as well and if you want a complete house you can join a front to a back. Cunning or what? :)
The idea is that you can make the kits either left handed or right handed and then join two or more of them up and produce a terrace. As usual they are basic building kits that you can embellish to your liking. (That means no chimneys etc. in order to keep the cost down). The price is aimed at being affordable (£24.50 for the back kit and £19.50 for the front kit).
Cheers!
Steve

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice kits Steve!

I have a couple of these Jackson's Buildings on my railway already, and I have a Goods Shed to build at some point in the very near future....

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Just make sure you paint all the surfaces inside and out, as well as sealing the edges as per the instructions. I brought in the "half Raven Square" I have on my railway after the snow had melted because I noticed that the unpainted mdf on the inside of the building had stained indicating mositure ingress. The mdf hadn't "blown" like ordinary mdf, so the integrity of the building was fine, but after I had left it on the central heating boiler for a couple of days and then in front of a radiator for a few days more it weighed 0.75kg less than when I brought it in. i.e. it had absorbed a wine bottle's worth of moisture! Since my buildings are deliberatly put together with less than perfect preparation I was glad that the building was sound and it did live up to the description "intended for permanent outdoor use". It would have dried out eventually being left outside (assuming that we get a spell of dry weather) but it was good to bring it in and dry it out. I probably need to do the same for one of the signal boxes which was also covered in snow. I never thought about the buildings being totally immersed but they seem to stand up to it - especially using "grabber" glue to hold them together.
Steve